Chapter 45: Misdirection

~~Sebastian~~

Sebastian was thrilled that Damien might actually be opening himself up a bit, and even moreso that it was with a woman. He recognized that soft look in his eyes- he was very interested in Marie, though why Damien would be that interested in her he wasn't sure. She was a bit too coarse for his taste, not to mention she glared at him about every chance she got.

He thought back to the auror, and wondered if maybe he could try just charming her. Work up that rusty smile of his and see if it worked as well as it once did when they were at Hogwarts. A few little sideways looks, a hungry glance across the room, and most girls flocked to him. He was the resident bad boy, the forbidden fruit, so to speak. Maybe it would be the same way with an auror. She would be on the road all the time, after all. Not exactly a good job to maintain a lasting relationship...

But he wasn't looking for a lasting relationship either, so it worked out perfectly.

"I think I'm going to head to Hogsmeade and check this auror out." Sebastian said with a little smile, putting his book down.

"Sebastian, I still think this is a bad idea." Ominis said warily. "It's playing with fire."

"Well, you and I both know I don't mind a bit of danger, Ominis." Sebastian chuckled.

"This is different! This isn't just some dark magic, this is an auror! She could kill us all, and no one would bat an eye." Ominis growled. "Between my family's reputation, Damien, and if she finds out about you, we'd be screwed!"

"Well then she won't find out about that, will she?" Sebastian grinned confidently.

Ominis growled, running a hand over his face in frustration. He was still the same reckless Sebastian he had always been!

"Just be careful." Ariadne said in concern. "Don't underestimate her. Even if you are able to charm her. Aurors have full permission to do whatever they want without punishment."

"I'm well aware of that." Sebastian said solemnly. He'd had nightmares all of 6th year about an auror finding him after he'd killed his uncle. This was risky for him too, but it had been a long time since the catacombs... if they were going to come after him, they already would have.

Besides, if Ominis was married now, and Damien was starting to get interested in Marie, then he was the third wheel, so to speak. He'd always been the most expendable one, anyway.

"You guys stay here, and keep researching. Damien!" He called out into the house, knowing he could hear him. "Are you alright if I crash at your old place in Hogsmeade for a while?"

Damien came to the doorway of the kitchen with a frown. "Will you be staying there, then? Not here?"

Sebastian nodded. "It would be easier to make it look like I belong there."

Damien let out an uneasy noise. "So I'll be on my own at night?"

"I'll come back before next week, don't worry. I'll make some excuse to leave." Sebastian said in a softer tone to try and reassure Damien. "Besides, you've been doing a lot better than you did when it first happened. It'll be good for you to spend some time on your own."

Damien let out an anxious grumble at the idea, but sighed. "I suppose I can't rely on you all the time. It is unfair to you to be chained to me."

"I'm not chained to you, Damien." Sebastian said in frustration. "I never was. I helped you because you're my friend, and that's what friends do. Besides... you helped me far more than I can ever pay back."

Damien smiled softly and nodded. "Alright, then. Oui, you can stay in the house as long as you need to. I'll go get the key for you."

Sebastian sighed with relief that Damien finally agreed with him, smiling when he came back from the bedroom with the key to the house. "Thanks, bud. I'll keep the auror off your trail, promise."