Chapter 9: Stoking the Flames

Welcome to your first double Basilisk update day. Reminder that this story is rated M lol

——————-

I wonder if she's feeling well...

~~Ominis~~

He found it interesting that Ariadne had so quickly gone from ignoring him entirely to suddenly wanting to be around him. She'd stayed by his side all day while he recovered, getting him lunch and dinner, refusing to let the servants wait on him. She was... being so kind to him.

When he'd first made the idea to start their relationship over he had been intending on it starting over as strangers, but instead she had insisted on them being friends. Apparently something he'd done had granted him that privilege, but he wasn't going to complain.

It was late at night now, the only noise in the room the loud grandfather clock that ticked loudly across the hallway.

Today... had been interesting. Ariadne had been flustered on and off all through the day, the way her heart picked up and the soft catch of her breath an easy tell to him. She had especially liked it when he'd teased her. He hadn't even meant to, it had just... come out.

He leaned back against the pillows, sighing deeply. She was sleeping in the main bedroom tonight, so he would be sleeping alone. Why did that suddenly feel like a bad thing? This was ridiculous... she wanted to be friends. They'd just met, he'd been horrible to her. She probably was just being nice to him because he was her husband.

No... no, now he knew she wasn't like that. She wasn't nice to someone because she had to be. Not truly. That fake Ariadne he'd known for the first few days of their marriage seemed to be gone. And good riddance. This new Ariadne was far more interesting. Her soft hair, the way she spoke so bluntly and didn't hold anything back. Her slender hands against his chest-

He inhale sharply as he realized he was getting riled from the thought of her touches. He shouldn't... he really shouldn't. It was wrong, she didn't see him that way. A shower- he needed a shower. If anything to get the rest of the blood off him. She'd cleaned most of it off, but he could still feel some sticking at the hem of his pants and he was not letting her go there with that damn cloth and her soft hands.

He gritted his teeth as he tried to stop thinking about that. He shouldn't-

Shower. NOW.

He gritted his teeth as he sat up in bed, slowly making his way out with how sore he still felt. He ached, but his blood was still hot in his veins. He had to cool himself off before he thought more ridiculous things.

The shower was a new contraption, and one he much preferred. He undressed slowly and turned the crank for the hot water, sighing in relief as the heated water fell against his sore muscles. Fuck that felt nice, though.

He leaned against the bars that surrounded the shower tub, sighing as he leaned into the spray of water from above. Why was he feeling this way? He'd been yelling at her only the day before, wary of every move she made. Now he couldn't seem to stop thinking about her. He truly was a pathetic man.

If they wanted you to be obedient I think they chose the wrong woman.

He couldn't help a dark laugh of amusement at her words. Oh, if only she knew. They'd made a terrible mistake thinking she was the proper lady she'd disguised herself as. He knew the truth, now. She was bold, she was ruthless when she needed to be. Fearless even in the face of danger. A woman made of fire and brimstone, and here he was burning.

"Fuck-" he swore harshly, quickly switching the dials and letting out a long string of parseltongue as cold water fell down onto him, making him shiver and quake. Even that didn't put out the fire inside him.