Chapter 39: Quidditch Match #1

~~Sebastian~~

Sebastian was eager to play, his broom in hand as he glanced over to Damien. He had spent most of the night setting up the field, and though he looked rather tired, he was still eager for the game as well. He hadn't seen Damien this excited for anything since before the attack, a small smile coming over his face as a bit of hope filled him that this might be good for him. Maybe they could get a bit of the old Damien back.

Damien had his own broom- his upgraded ridiculously fast broom he'd built up over the years at Hogwarts. The thing was insane, and far faster than he could ever hope to be. He just hoped this didn't turn into a 'Damien runs circles around everyone' match.

Though if Marie really had been a seeker... maybe that wouldn't happen. He would believe it when he saw it. He still knew so little about her, it was impossible to make guesses about what she would or wouldn't do. Other than glare at him, that seemed to be a constant.

He wasn't sure what he'd done to piss her off so much. She certainly hadn't liked it when he'd called her sweetheart yesterday, but he hadn't done it again so certainly it couldn't be that. He'd never dated her, so it wasn't that... so why did she automatically despise him like that? It irked him.

He saw Damien perk up a bit, and Sebastian knew he could smell them arriving before he could see them, chuckling in amusement as it revealed how excited Damien really was. He really hoped he enjoyed this, there were so few things he enjoyed these days.

"Hey you two!" Ariadne said, waving to them from down the road as they approached, her school issue broom in hand. Looks like she'd never bothered to upgrade anything at all. Huh.

As they approached, he glanced over to Damien again who was looking down to Marie'a broom. It was a sleek looking broom with an Ebony handle and the tip of the brush dipped in what looked like shimmering gold paint.

"A firebug?" Damien said in surprise. "Those are hard to control."

"Not you know how to ride it." Marie said with a little smug smile. She looked to his broom as well and chuckled. "A shackle bolt? Going for power, huh?"

"Anything else doesn't give me the speed I need." Damien grinned back.

Ominis tilted his head from beside Ariadne, a brow raising ever so slightly as he listened.

Sebastian knew the expression well. He was wondering too.

"How are we going to do this, then?" Marie said confidently. "Who's on what team?"

"Girls vs guys?" Damien ordered, taking the quaffle ball out of the box and holding it up.

"How about it, Ari, you up for that?" Marie looked over to her.

"Whatever you're comfortable with. You know I'm rubbish." Ariadne said a bit anxiously. "I haven't even been on a broom in years."

"I wouldn't worry, it's like riding a bicycle." Damien shrugged.

"I haven't ridden one of those either." Ariadne chuckled.

"What's a bicycle?" Ominis asked curiously.

"Yeah, I've never heard of that either." Sebastian said, equally confused.

"Oh, it's a muggle machine people use to get around using pedals you push with your feet." Damien explained. "Difficult to learn at first but once you learn it you don't forget how to ride one."

"Huh." Sebastian said thoughtfully. Muggles came up with the craziest contraptions.

"Either way, yes I'm fine with girls vs guys if you are." Marie grinned confidently.