|63| Drinking wine with Bacchus

Drinking wine with Bacchus
Haiku by Maria Mikhaela A. Agustin

Sliding on the rainbow,

With breeze of Mount Olympus,

Drinking wine with Bacchus.

From the author:

In the first line of the haiku, a particular person slides on the rainbow, a major symbolic term for the LGBTQ+ community. This individual exhibits a carefree attitude, casting aside all concerns about making others understand their validity.

The second line describes the breeze of Mount Olympus. It conveys a sense of freedom as if the person is atop the mountain, relishing the air. Mount Olympus serves as a significant setting in Greek mythological stories, and numerous legendary Greek and Roman poets and authors have written extensively about the gender fluidity of Gods and Goddesses. Despite the presence of homosexuality thousands of years ago, societal acknowledgment and respect remain elusive for many.

The final line depicts drinking wine with Bacchus, also known as Dionysus. In addition to being the God of wine, winemaking, festivities, and fertility, Bacchus is portrayed as one of the gender-fluid or non-binary Gods. The LGBTQ+ community recognizes and dubs him as a representative figure from Greek and Roman mythology.