|34| Happiness from the Ocean

Happiness from the Ocean
Figurative Poem by Belen, Clariza M.

The ocean breeze whisper to my ear,

As I feel its salty water calling me.

The sun rays continue to touch my skin,

Like when someone is embracing me.

With hundreds of birds singing that calms me,

To wonderful families playing near the beach.

The sun seems to smile as it showers heat to everyone,

With the ocean waters to balance everything.

From the author:

I opted for personification in my poem, as it's a literary device that resonates with me more than others. Throughout the verses, I bestowed human characteristics upon non-living entities such as whispering, calling, embracing, singing, and smiling. The essence of my poem, from my perspective, mirrors the sentiments nestled in the hearts of many teenagers.

In the backdrop of the COVID-19-induced quarantine, where the confines of our homes became our sanctuaries, individuals were restricted in their movements, venturing outside only for essential needs like groceries or work. Presently, amidst what is now considered the summer season, families typically flock to the beach. The profound joy derived from the beach, the ocean, and the sea is unparalleled. For countless people, the beach assumes the role of a haven, especially in a world brimming with stress and challenges. It acts as a therapeutic refuge, fostering tranquility and shielding them from the throes of anxiety and depression.