𝟻𝟻. 𝙸𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜

Author's note: I would like to apologize in advance for the next few chapters.

Ace Romano's pov:

"How do you want to approach this boss?"

"We need to get him back as soon as possible" I respond as I look through worker files

"Boss you're looking in the wrong pile" Rafael respond hesitantly

I look down at the files I just pulled out of my desk drawers, it's the ongoing mission files for workers that are already away.

My head's been completely scrambled these last few weeks. With-

"Boss, are you okay?"

"Yeah, is there anyone we can pull from the field?" I ask trying to re-focus

"No, you upped the load. Everyone's backed up" That's right, it must have slipped my mind.

I stare at the files in front of me, trying to come up with solutions. Maybe I'll have to go myself but then I won't be able to go-

The sound of the door opening pulls me out of my thoughts, I look up to see Serene walking in.

I feel myself instantly relax, her presence alone calming me down from the shit I have to deal with.

God, what I would give to be in her arms all day.

"Ace baby" I snap back, realizing she's already next to me.

"Yes amore" I stare into those brown eyes waiting to hear whatever she had to say.

"It's 12:30" she responds, her expression makes it clear I should know what she means but nothing comes to mind.

My expression shifts into one of confusion as I look over at Rafael for help, still raking my mind.

"You forgot didn't you?" she tries to hide the irritation in her voice but I spot it immediately

"Amore mio, mi dispiace, dovevamo fare qualcosa?" I pull her into my hold.

She rakes her hand through my hair, sighing before she responded "You said you would come to bed at 12"

It finally clicks in my head, I promised we would go to bed together tonight. "It's fine, don't worry about it" god I don't deserve her.

"Mi dispiace tanto amore mio, mi è completamente sfuggito di mente" she shrugs, slipping out my grasp before moving to sit in my lap.

"Rafael you better not be working my man too hard" she teases him

"No ma'am" he chuckles.

She shifts in my lap, now sitting sideways before grabbing my hand. "What's wrong? You seem stressed"

Oh, how I wish I could tell her. But I know nothing good will come from it, I've been pushing it off for so long but I don't know how much longer I can.

I can't bring myself to do it, I don't want to lose her.

"Just work" I respond giving her a small smile

"Can I help?"

"Not unless you can find me a worker for a rescue mission in the next 2 hours"

"Well you have one right here" she hints at herself "You know I've been tired of not doing anything"

Serene Ann Black's pov:

"No, what if something happens?" he responds immediately

"You don't think i can handle it, you think i'm weak and fragile and should stay cooped up-" My tone doesn't change but my words sharp