Chapter 95 - Outlook on life

Start from the beginning

Y/N didn't know what to wear. She didn't have many beautiful evening dresses, but she had some of them. She decided to opt for a sleeveless dress of light blue color, covered to the waist with floral embroidery made of silk threads. The hem of the dress was multi-layered, which made it moderately lush, but at the same time neat and elegant. Under the dress, she wore Armin's gift, which she never wore except once when she tried it on for the first time.

By four in the afternoon they were in the palace. They gathered again with their girlish company, helping Sasha to get ready and tune in. The ceremony was supposed to begin at five in the evening in one of the halls of the palace, where there was a large balcony overlooking the garden.

Sasha sat in front of the mirror in her white dress - it was a simple white dress with long sleeves, bare shoulders and a light flying train from the waist down. Historia braided Sasha's hair, Pieck and Hitch helped Sasha with makeup. Annie left at the request of Sasha to check the readiness of the hall and find out how the boys were doing, who should also have already been in the palace and getting ready. Y/N and Mikasa sat together on the couch, watching Sasha's preparations, periodically exchanging phrases with her girl-friends.

- Y/N?

- Mm?

Mikasa quietly turned to her.

- Do you look tense, still not feeling well, or worried about what... you said yesterday?

- In fact, I don't really like such events, and in general - I'm hungry. My hangover only recently let me go, so... the banquet would start soon.

Mikasa laughed.

- Understood you. But this is a wedding - romance and fun, why don't you like it?

- I didn't tell you? Yes, apparently I told Historia about this. I just don't quite understand it. That's the problem.

- Don't understand? In terms of?

- That I don't understand the essence of marriage. Well, like, look at Sasha and Niccolo - they love each other, they live together, share life, problems, joys. What will marriage change?

- Hmm... marriage is like strengthening one's feelings and intentions, a vivid confirmation of fidelity and...

- People cheat, even being married. If a person wants to cheat, no bonds will hold them back. If you love a person, you want to be with him, then you will be with him without marriage. I can only understand this form of marriage, when they marry for the sake of obtaining the privileges of their partner, entering some certain circles. I'm by no means saying that this is bad, I'm happy for Sasha and Niccolo, but I myself would hardly have decided on this.

- And if your partner wants it?

- I hope he understands my point of view. After all, I don't need any privileges, but only love. And marriage is not always about love.

- You have a pessimistic view of marriage.

- No, it's reality. I grew up in this reality, watching how people marry not for love, so marriage for me is not some kind of consolidation of feelings, an act of fidelity and love. Call it pessimistic, but it's true. I've seen married people cheat on their partners, and... For example, Damian's family... his parents were married. Although his father loved his mother, she most likely didn't marry for love, at least Damian thinks so. In the end, she ran away with some man, leaving both her husband and her three-year-old son. Damian doesn't remember her, she didn't try to get back to them, contact them. Did marriage help? No. Like I said, it won't hold a person. Nothing will stop a person if the person doesn't want to stay.