Chapter 39 - New work, new friends, new questions

After returning to Paradis, Hange was glad that they decided to give Y/N some of their duties, as when they returned without Eren, they had more problems.

Y/N was glad that she could now work more independently. The new status also helped her in gaining access to various information that was available only to high-ranking military officers. Of their group, only Levi and Hange were aware of the change in Y/N's position, as they mostly worked separately and almost never interacted. Sometimes Y/N even thought about the fact that it was more expedient to have a separate unit for research and development of new technologies. So, that it's not only separate from the detached corps, but in general - separate from military structures, because the development of technologies wasn't necessary only in the military sphere. At some point, they'll have to develop technologies in other areas of life, so that the standard of living of the population grows as well as their military power.

Returning, they immediately went to Trost, where Hange was waiting for a conversation with the commander-in-chief. Y/N also had other things to do - she received an official appointment to a new position, she met with her colleagues, with whom she usually worked in the group formed by Hange. Now, she has become their leader, but still - she decided to leave their relationship on an equal footing. The idea of commanding other people oppressed her. She decided that she would give them tasks, but she asked them to be as honest and straightforward with her as before. She knew she had a good team.

One day in Trost, Y/N went to town with Mikasa and Sasha. They didn't wear military uniforms that day, and they tried not to talk about work. It was a wonderful day. They just felt like ordinary girls, not measured by thoughts of battles, wars. They talked about what they would like to do if they had free time from work.

Sasha and Y/N supported Mikasa, knowing that she misses Eren. The girls knew how she felt for him, but didn't dare to talk about it. Sasha told them about Niccolo, with whom she had already developed a fairly close relationship. Y/N was surprised that it was Sasha who was lucky in love. She wondered what was possible, if she took everything easier, and life would become easier. And then, in the end, she came to the conclusion that «easier» is definitely not about her.

Of course, the conversation turned to Damian. Y/N didn't deny that he did look after her, but she didn't forget to clarify that she wasn't interested. She treated him like a childhood friend: they had many memories together, many topics for conversation, but something in Y/N's soul prevented her from seeing him as a potential partner. However, this didn't mean that she didn't accept his courtship. She was pleased to eat for free, drink for free, receive gifts. For free. At the same time, she always reminded Damian not to try hard, but he still tried. He was one of those for whom the word «no» meant «persuade me more».

That day, the girls ran into Hitch. Y/N introduced them by telling them what Hitch was up to, and she, of course, joined them. Soon, Mikasa and Sasha left, citing work, but Y/N and Hitch continued to communicate. Surprisingly, Y/N found Hitch's company very pleasant. She was someone who definitely could distract from thoughts. She chatted about what was going on at the military police headquarters, who was meeting with whom publicly and who was secretly. She chatted about new shops, restaurants. About nice guys. And nasty guys. About those who approached her. About those to whom she wouldn't mind sticking. Y/N found her a breath of fresh air in her eternal atmosphere of test tubes, flasks, pistols and cartridges. This time she even kept up a conversation with her.

- Listen, Y/N. You didn't answer me then... Do you seeing someone?

- And what? Interested?

- «Ah, no», she said, «It's not that you're not pretty and all that, but... I think you're kind of like someone who needs someone smart, or something. I would feel dumb with you, I don't like that»