Chapter 13 - The one of them

***

Y/N woke up to the sounds of panic. Someone was shouting, the noise of gatherings was heard from the outside. Y/N quickly got dressed and went to find out what happened. Downstairs, she ran into Captain Levi and Eren, who looked incredibly tired.

- Captain Levi! What's happening?

- You woke up at last. Someone killed Hange's «wards» last night - in the morning a message came from Trost. They urgently went there. There will be an investigation.

- «Wards» ..? You mean titans? But why?

- «This is no longer our concern. Hange, together with the military police, will deal with it. One thing is clear - it was either one of the military, or one of the cadets who still remain in Trost - the ODM was used. Hange has left, which means you and I will be looking after Eren» , he looked at the weary Eren. «He better get some sleep now, Hange has been talking to him all night, so he's useless now. Take him downstairs, and then start cleaning - the stables are mess»

- Downstairs, but we're on the ground floor..? Captain, wait...

But Captain Levi had already left, leaving Eren in her care.

- «Downstairs» he means the basement. He decided it was the right place for me. Precautions, I think... He made me clean up there yesterday. Twice. And then I realized why...

- Eren, you look creepy. You really need to rest. Hange can be... tiresome sometimes.

She walked Eren to the basement and went to the stables herself, before that she quickly cleaned herself up and had a little snack in the kitchen.

***

Several days passed. Y/N communicated with Eren every day, writing down what he could remember about his time as a titan. They had breakfast together, lunch together, dinner together, cleaned up together, even though Y/N wasn't obliged to help him. She began to understand why Armin and Mikasa were friends with Eren. «He is not so crazy if he doesn't scream, but talks calmly. He had a difficult life. And now it has become even more difficult...» Y/N could see that Eren was having a hard time: the scouts didn't trust him yet, and he needed support. In addition to the fact that he suddenly discovered in himself a previously unknown ability to turn into a titan, he saw his friends die, which refreshed the events of five years ago in his memory. And now he had no one with whom he could talk about it. Y/N understood this, and also realized that he definitely wouldn't be frank with her, and she didn't want to intrude into his soul either. They weren't close, maybe they could become something like friends.

Eren was happy for Y/N's company. With her, he didn't feel like a stranger: he wanted to become a scout, but he never thought that everything would turn out that way. The scouts treated him like a newcomer, but from time to time he still saw distrust in their eyes. Captain Levi still treated him like a prisoner. And only Y/N treated him as her comrade, openly talking with him on various topics. She was interested in his well-being. He understood that this was most likely her work, but he was still pleased not to be a stranger to at least one person. He wanted to see his friends, Armin and Mikasa. He often wondered if they would really become scouts after everything that had happened? And will anyone even go to the Survey Corps? For some reason, he saw the future more and more vaguely... He intuitively held the key that hung around his neck all these years - the only thing left to him from his father. Something was left in his house, there in Shiganshina, perhaps, all the answers are there...

***

Three days after Hange's departure, they returned with Commander Erwin. Y/N went out to meet them. There were already some scouts on the street.