Chapter 11 - Homecoming

***

They arrived in the Сapital Mitras a day and a half later: in the morning, Y/N had already begun to fall asleep, and they had to make a stop for a couple of hours. They also stopped at Stohess for lunch, and Moblit also took away a uniform made for Y/N and a full set of equipment that was issued to each scout, including the ODM.

Both of them were in civilian clothes, so they didn't attract attention: in the Capital, they were wary of the visits of scouts since they usually brought bad news. On the way to the Capital, Moblit told Y/N how things were going: now most of the Survey corps was on a mission outside the Wall Rose, so, the Commander asked Moblit to escort Y/N to the Capital, and also help with business if necessary. After that, they will go together to one of the headquarters of the Survey corps.

The first time Erwin told Y/N that she would need to return to the Capital, she was surprised as she didn't quite understand why she was doing this. Now, she wanted to return home, visit the graveyard, she had something to tell dad about. She missed him every day. Also, she will probably have to resolve some issues with her inheritance. Now that she has an official job, she can answer for herself, which means she can receive everything that her father left her. But, at the same time, the Commander asked not to mention her place of work. For some reason, it was decided to hide her involvement in Survey Corps. The Commander «created» a job for her in a rural clinic, and Y/N only had to confirm this for everyone. Moblit went with her as an assistant and safety net.

She invited him to stay in a guest room in her apartment, but he tactfully refused, saying that he would be waiting for her tomorrow morning near the entrance to the palace grounds. They decided to spend the rest of the day apart.

Y/N left the horse in Moblit's care while she headed home. She was at home. Familiar streets, the aroma of fresh newspapers, warm pastries, the noise of shops. The noise of a big city. She approached her house: she was met as usual by the concierge.

- «Who are you, girl?», he looked closer. «Y/N, is that you? You changed a lot, quite an adult already. Did you return to the Capital? I heard you lived somewhere with relatives outside the Wall Sina...»

- I won't be long... Some things need to be resolved, and I'm glad to see you in good health.

- «Yes, where can I go», laughing, the concierge answered her. «Looking to sell your apartment?»

- Never. This is my legacy. Dad wanted me to live here, it's just... Now I'm not ready to go back yet...

- Understand you. Help with your bags? Anyway, this is my job.

- No, thanks, I can handle it myself.

Climbing up to the fifth floor with a full bag of books, clothes, as well as a bag with full ODM equipment was difficult. Y/N stopped periodically, but when she reached her door, she left all the things next to the door. For a long time, she couldn't muster the strength to open the door.

Entering the apartment, from the threshold she felt familiar smells: the smell of lilacs growing outside the window, the smell of old books from the library and the slight smell of various medicines still stored in the office. She walked around the apartment - surprisingly, it was tidy inside, there was no dust, and their flowers and plants didn't wither. «Probably the king ordered to look after the apartment for me. As my father said, his friends will do what they can»