Chapter 37 - Only feelings

«Go and close the curtains

'Cause all we need is candlelight

You and me and a bottle of wine

To hold you tonight

Well we know, I'm going away

And how I wish, I wish it weren't so

So take this wine and drink with me

Let's delay our misery»

***

Onyankopon escorted them to a meeting of the Subjects of Ymir Protection Group. It took place in a small building near the port, which means it was quite far from the city center. This group was quite numerous, but the official authorities didn't particularly welcome such sentiments. The Eldians, just like all of them, lived in a completely different way on the mainland - they were driven into some «closed» areas of cities, where they lived in their own limited way of life, which was available to them. They were treated as the dregs of society, many didn't take them for people. They didn't do anything to anyone, though. The Eldians outwardly didn't differ from other people, but, nevertheless, what happened once upon a time still left its mark on the life of the descendants of Ymir. All this reminded Y/N of the usual class system that has always existed and will always exist, only on a more terrible scale. There will always be someone richer, more educated... And someone is born without the right to choose which segment of the population to belong to. All this saddened her, because she herself, dreaming of becoming an engineer, couldn't enter the research academy at the royal court, because she was born a girl. She believed that everyone should have the right to choose, maybe even if nothing works out, then it'll be the fault of the person themself, it'll be the result of their choice, their actions, and not just the result of how they was born and what kind of family they has.

However, she knew how unlikely it was that these people from the Subjects of Ymir Protection Group were as forward-thinking as she was. She thought that none of this would come of it, that this will be another gathering of people who simply liked to make loud speeches without doing anything at all. She has long been disillusioned with people. One single person proved to her what promises meant. More precisely - that promises mean nothing.

They sat down in a large hall not far from the exit. Y/N sat down on the edge next to Hange, who was impatient. People gathered in the hall, someone actively discussed the upcoming meeting. A man stepped onto the stage. He greeted everyone and started talking. Y/N sat and listened to all this. He spoke a lot. «Too many words going into the void», her companions listened to all this with interest. Only Levi and Eren didn't react to what was happening.

- Can we really let the Eldians living in camps all over the world suffer because of the mistakes of their ancestors? Are they any different from you and me? They, like us, were born on this mainland, not knowing another life. They should be free, they should live among the same ordinary people. After all, we all know that only the island devils, who have been hiding behind the walls for more than a hundred years, are to blame for all the troubles.

And then, Y/N again caught disappointment.

- Hange, I'll go outside. It's stuffy in here.

They didn't answer her, and Y/N silently got up and left the hall. She stepped outside and leaned against the wall, exhaling noisily. «I don't know what Hange expected... This is another Azumabito-style farce. They all have their own goals, which they hide behind ostentatious nobility... Yeah... People are the most terrible creatures in the world»