☆Chapter 85 - Mistake

Warning: mature content [18+]

***

- And how do you imagine that? Where do you think I should take people from then?

- Miss, you should have thought about this earlier and attended these meetings.

- I sent several letters about what I expect. I didn't demand much, Commander Arlert and I agreed that more cadets would be enrolled in Survey Corps than expected, and after six months of work as part of the Survey corps, some soldiers would go to the engineering unit. I cannot accept untrained cadets - there are no people in the engineering unit who would be engaged in training the cadets.

- Your agreements with Commander Arlert are your agreements, which we don't know about. As the chief commandant of the cadet corps, I'm not interested in your personal agreements. As you know, now everything has changed, and its the Garrison who needs the most people, but we have left the tradition of choosing the best cadets in each of the corps. Therefore, 80% of the cadets who don't make it into the top ten, who don't have any talent, are distributed between the Garrison and the Survey corps, but only the cadets from the top ten can choose, as always. You, as the commander of the engineering unit, haven't applied for cadets, therefore, you'll not receive a single person after this graduation. And the Survey corps, in turn, didn't request an additional number of people, which would later be transferred to you.

- But I sent letters to you personally! I thought it would be taken into account! You understand that I already lack people, there are many different soldiers, but few of them are able to bring at least something to the engineering unit. We're dedicated to improving the quality of life for every person on the island, creating weapons to protect all of you, is it really so hard to think about it...

- Miss, you have never been to these meetings! You could have conveyed this thought earlier, now it's too late to decide something!

- You understand that I don't have time to go to such meetings, and I don't have personnel who could be responsible for solving these issues!

- Today you are still here, and your subordinate is with you.

- «Hitch has only recently officially started working in the Engineering unit», Y/N glanced with distaste at Commander Stubbs, who sat contently watching the argument. «Previously, for certain reasons, she wasn't officially considered part of the engineering unit, and, accordingly, according to the general rules, she couldn't represent the engineering unit at such meetings. But, now it wouldn't be about that... what do you suggest I do in this situation? Where to get people if graduates aren't even offered to join the engineering unit?»

- I can't help you, miss. Those are the rules. Graduation will take place in two weeks, and all the cadets have already been assigned. Only 20% of the cadets have any choice. And those who get into the top ten, one way or another, most often choose the military police, as experience shows.

- Some kind of idiocy... Damn bureaucratic system.

Y/N was angry, she didn't expect such an outcome. She came to this meeting because of the stupidity of one innovation for the cadets - to have members of the military units once a year hold some kind of friendly competition to maintain the general team spirit. In the engineering unit, one could count on the fingers of one's hand those who had ever been in battle at all, or those who had graduated from the cadet corps. Basically, civilian scientists, scientists from Hizuru, construction workers, doctors... everyone who was engaged in research worked there. Previously, each military unit had a corps of engineers in its composition, who were engaged in the development of all sorts of things only for their unit, therefore, one way or another, all engineers were military. Now everything was different. And, for some reason, people like the chief commandant thought that everything remained as before.