Chapter 88 - Pendant

A/N: hello, I'm back with some angst today, as I say, I like writing angst more than fluff for some reason.

Also, it's May 10th - Hitch b-day, and... this means today is my b-day too. I always say that Hitch is one of my favs and this is one of the reasons. As for me, I still feel a little bit depressed and sad but I definitely feel better and I get to writing again.

***

September was a tough month. Everyone was on edge. A throng of new cadets appeared in the Survey corps, each of whom was assigned to an experienced officer who would train the newcomer. For many, this strained, annoyed, and prevented them from doing their job. But it was a better solution than giving newcomers a job they didn't know.

Y/N chose a deputy among civil engineers. Henry Parker was an experienced and rather strict middle-aged man who has worked in the industrial field for many years. He was one of those who lived only for work, so Y/N knew that he wouldn't let her down. And the important fact was that he respected Y/N as a specialist, as an engineer, despite the fact that she was a young girl. She completely gave him all the questions about working with industrial issues, such as setting up equipment production, mine operation. Y/N concentrated her attention on the project of the Underground City and on preparations for the armaments review, which was planned in early October.

September was a difficult month for their relationship. They hardly saw each other because of work.

Y/N constantly felt tension. No matter how much she liked her work, having lived a happy life, she realized that she didn't like living with one job. But she couldn't change that. Even on weekends, she worked. Sometimes she had a day off, but that didn't mean she could see Armin. After all, he also worked on weekends.

In her free time, she rested alone, or... spent time with Levi. Their working hours often overlapped, as did their free time. Previously, Y/N would have spent time with Mikasa, but... Mikasa returned to work, and... her relationship with Jean flourished. The rest of her friends were also quite busy because of work. She could have spent time with Hitch... but there was too much of her in Y/N's life anyway. Therefore, spending her free time with Levi was the best possible option for her. She had grown accustomed to his company over the years. And they had a lot to discuss.

Armin had a lot of work to do. And he didn't do well. No, not because he didn't know what to do, not because he did his job badly and not with high quality. But only because his soul was tormented by jealousy and anger. Not that these feelings appeared in him only now, no. This is because he hardly saw Y/N, didn't spend time with her... but he constantly saw her in the company of Captain Levi, and heard that they work together. And now he was on the verge of collapse. He couldn't do anything about it. He didn't admit it to himself, but he was still a little afraid of the Captain, so he couldn't tell him anything about it. And Y/N... he knew her position, and he... gave her his approval, he agreed with her. He told her that he would accept it, he said that he would handle his emotions on his own. But... he couldn't handle it.

***

October.

The armaments review was very stressful for Y/N. Lots of shouting, lots of questions, lots of complaints. Y/N, as planned, deprived the military police and the cadet corps of improved versions of the ODM, allowing only the Garrison and the Survey Corps to fully process orders for new equipment. Y/N argued this with her usual arguments - for training cadets, on the contrary, it would be more useful to train on the old equipment, since it's more difficult to use, and, having learned how to work with it, they can easily cope with the improved equipment. As for the military police, her favorite argument was that, technically, military police officers don't need equipment at all.