Chapter 46 - The beginning of the end

After visiting Eren, Y/N stayed in Trost for a while. She wanted to understand exactly what Eren was up to and what he saw in his future. His talk about how everything is predetermined and nothing can be changed frightened her. She wanted to visit him again, so that he would calm the tossings of her soul. What he said about the merging of the previous owners of the titans with the current owner interested her. From a scientific point of view, she was very skeptical about all this, because she couldn't explain it, but she couldn't deny that it could explain a lot. On the other hand, it gave her the hope that what she had lost long ago - Armin, her Armin - was still out there somewhere. That her friend, who looked at her with warmth and care in his eyes, calmed her anxieties, gave her the desire to live - still exists in this world. But... this theory still didn't explain everything.

When she left, Sasha's condition got better, but so far she couldn't move independently. She still needed daily bandaging. Y/N left her in the care of Damian's father and his assistants while Y/N was in Trost with his son.

It was morning. Y/N, as usual, took her morning coffee and headed towards the headquarters to meet with her team. In the evening, she intended to go back to Eren with Damian's help. Eren was placed under the supervision of the military with the permission of the members of the royal council, which means that Damian, as a member of the royal guard, had influence in terms of access to prisoners. At least he skillfully pretended to have. The junior military police officer who guarded Eren were easily led by Damian's story, seeing in front of them an important royal guard.

She was already approaching the headquarters, immersed in her thoughts about the upcoming day, as she noticed a crowd of protesters at the headquarters. «What is this... Where from...», Y/N was confused, she didn't expect this. Protesters broke into the headquarters of the military through closed gates. They were stopped by military police officers, among whom Y/N saw Hitch. The protesters demanded Eren's release, shouting loud slogans that only Eren would lead them to victory. Y/N stood in front of headquarters across the road, slowly sipping her coffee, waiting for this to be over.

- And you slept quickly after last night, as I see.

- Good morning to you too, Damian.

The guy approached her and stood next to her, also looking at the brawl near the entrance.

- And how often do you have it here?

- I see this for the first time. Looks like a lot has changed in a month.

They looked at what was happening, until suddenly they were doused with a stream of smoke. There was an explosion at the headquarters. The entire third floor was on fire. All the windows were broken, the crowd of protesters fell silent, and the victims and the military from the street began to shout, organizing the rescue of the survivors.

Y/N and Damian rushed to make their way through the crowd to get into the territory of the headquarters. They found Hitch in the crowd, and she helped them get in. Damian, remembering their «game» with Y/N for Hitch, held Y/N by the waist, helping her to squeeze inside.

- «Hitch, what happened? Is it... is it protesters or is it... an accident?» Y/N asked her.

- «We don't know yet. Everything... everything happened too unexpectedly», Hitch answered her, clearly confused. «The Commander-in-Chief is dead. I think he was the target»

- Has anyone else died?

- They're checking now. But there were definitely more people on the third floor.

- «Is there anything we can do to help?» Damian asked her to inspect the ruined building.

- Perhaps a messenger for the royal council could be useful. The commanders of units have already been informed, they'll decide what to do next.