Chapter 34 - Another

Several months have passed. The inhabitants of Paradis were confidently establishing cooperation with the people from Marley, who supported the Eldians. Everyone had their own assignments. Y/N spent most of her time alone, studying Marley's technology, and secretly developed some of her ideas on how to improve some things using Paradis's resources. Only Hange knew about these studies of hers. Several times a month they met and discussed everything necessary, determining the next stages of the forthcoming work.

Y/N often visited Mitras, buying necessary things in the capital's stores. When she visited the Capital, she always met with Historia, who was always happy to communicate with Y/N. Since Y/N began to recover emotionally and physically from the stress she endured, their communication each time became more and more warm and sincere. She worked in Trost, where the main headquarters of the Survey corps was located - she was given a separate office and several experienced engineers from the former Hange's detachment. Since the study of the titans and, in principle, the fight against them became virtually unnecessary, all people in the Survey corps were reorganized. Y/N had no people under her command - only colleagues with whom they shared the tasks given to them by Commander Hange.

What the others were doing didn't really matter to her. From Hange she received all the latest news and progress in communication with the Marleyans. They discussed all their possibilities. Y/N's life began to consist only of work. And it suited her. She no longer tried to be nice and kind. She did what she wanted, how she wanted, when she wanted. She said what she wanted to. During her work, she met some senior officers from the Survey and Garrison, whom she crossed paths with in the dining room a couple of times. She expanded her connections, so to speak. She believed that communication with senior colleagues could be useful in terms of understanding the real state of affairs within the military structures. These connections helped her understand that what is happening on the coast, on the highest circles of military structures is taken very skeptically. Historia also mentioned that the royal council, which she reformed after ascending the throne, was also very skeptical about what Hange was doing and planning. Y/N talked about it with her, but only so that she was aware. Y/N supported Hange's ideas to free the people of Paradis from their seclusion on the island. She understood that in her position she wouldn't be able to change anything, so for now she just went with the flow, following the goals set for her.

At some point, all three of Grisha Jaeger's diaries came to Y/N for a while. This happened with Hange's permission, of course. Y/N was engaged in a detailed analysis of everything that was described on the pages of these diaries. She was especially interested in the pages about the Titans, namely the nine intelligent Titans whose powers were transferred in Marley every few years to people, or rather children, called warriors. This «system» itself depressed Y/N. She didn't understand how it was possible, living in complete freedom, to reproach children for such things. In the «walls», many orphans went to the cadet corps, because it was the best option for them to become someone in their lives. Opportunities within the «walls» have always been limited, especially for the lower strata of the population. And there... beyond the sea was a boundless world. A world full of possibilities. She didn't understand what would motivate children to actually go out of their way to become a means to achieve goals of the military. Reading all this, she even began to sympathize with Reiner, Bertholdt, Annie... She would like to understand why they did this, but... So far she didn't understand.

While studying all of this, she did cross-studies of what she was able to learn about the titans by studying Eren. Almost every one of the nine titans was mentioned in his father's diaries. But, most of all, she was interested in the titan, which was owned by Annie Leonhart. Namely, her ability to adopt the abilities of other titans. From what Y/N understood, Annie partially possessed the ability of the Founding titan to control other titans at short distances, she also knew how to form armor, like the Armored Titan. And, as it turned out, she could imprison herself in something that looked like a crystalline cocoon. This ability was  interesting to Y/N. She tried to understand what could cause such a reaction, and which of the titans could still wield such power. Therefore, she decided to visit her.