Chapter 54 - The Battle of Heaven and Earth

Warning: if you don't read manga and only watch anime - this chapter contains spoilers for final (future) season of anime. The events not strictly followed events in manga but main parts is the same.

***

They all flew up into the air.

Reiner, they're on their way», shouted Connie to him.

And a second later, three titans attacked Reiner. Mikasa and Connie promptly blew up two of them with thunder spears, and the third was thrown by Reiner somewhere into the fog.

- «Who are they?» Jean said. «They don't look like pure titans. They're simultaneously coordinating the situation and attacking...»

- «And what should we do?! Use thunder spears right away?!» Connie began to panic. «Where is Armin anyway? Is he even alive?!»

- «If he had even a scratch on him, he would have turned into a titan», Levi said. «Which means he's a prisoner, but safe and sound», he looked at Y/N, who was staring into the fog where Armin had disappeared. «Just... they dragged him somewhere into the fog, and there are... an uncountable crowd of titans... Even in the best shape... I wouldn't risk going there»

Mikasa headed towards the fog, Y/N stopped her.

- Mika, what are you thinking about? You can't get in, you just...

- «I'll draw attention and take them with me, then you'll have a chance», Levi said.

Y/N held Mikasa's shoulders, but looked at Levi in shock.

- Ackermans, what is wrong with you? Rushing to die...

- «It won't work, Captain», Pieck said as she approached them in her titan form. «I figured out who they are. These are... all the reincarnations of the nine titans. I don't know if the previous owners were sentient or not... but it seems that the power of the Founder allows them to be resurrected endlessly. It's an army of veteran titans, built solely for battle»

- «Is... this possible?» Connie asked, asking the question written on everyone's faces.

- «Yes, what means... we must act decisively», said Pieck. «Well... Eren and I were never friends, so...», and without waiting for an answer, she rushed into the fog to the side where the head of the Founding titan was.

- What?!

- What is she doing?!

- PIECK!?

- That's it...

The next thing they heard was a scream. Reiner rushed towards Pieck, but a titan attacked him. Everyone took to the air, helping Reiner deal with the Jaw titan. Jean rushed to attack and almost hit the titan in the mouth, but Levi pulled him out.

- «We need to get Armin out as soon as possible», Levi said. «We have no other choice, otherwise we'll all die here»

- «If we waste time on every theoretically unkillable titan, then we'll definitely lose», Y/N said, flying off somewhere into the fog.

Everyone else followed suit.

- «Reiner! There is no time!» Connie called out to him. «Pieck can cope on her own!»

They headed towards the countless titans. Each of them was for themself, but they worked as a team. The guys actively used thunder spears, crushing the titans who dared to approach. Levi didn't let the titans close to him, chopping off everything that his blades reached. Y/N, using the ODM, combined movement with destruction, moving from one titan to another. Her ODM made it possible to minimize the need for rotation in the air.