Chapter 48 - Dying confession

I walked a little bit too close to the edge

Gave up on my defense

In the name of love

I told myself that everyone gets the best

Nothing has to make sense

In the name of love

***

Y/N sat there for about an hour, looking at the evening Shiganshina. The city has changed since the last time she was here. The survivors returned and rebuilt their houses. Large funds were sent to the city for the restoration of the city and the lands adjacent to it. The city came alive every day. Y/N could hardly believe that this is the same city where she lost everything four years ago. And... she had to say goodbye to her own life in this city.

She sighed and stood up. «Stop sitting and being nostalgic. I can still do something. I need to find Commandant Pyxis», Y/N went looking for him. She found the Commandant and other officers from the Garrison, the Survey Corps, and the Military Police in one of the large conference rooms. All those present, as well as Y/N, wore black armbands. «People with whom I'll share the moment of death»

- Commandant Pyxis!

- Miss Y/N! Didn't know you weren't locked up like your colleagues.

- Apparently, in my position, there is no point in resisting, commandant.

- Yes, that's for sure. But, we can still change things, right?

- Never lose hope, commandant?

- I've lived a long life and... hell, when you choose to work like ours, death can come any day, after many years you already get used to the inevitability.

- And that's right.

- Where's Commander Hange? As far as I understand, they isn't with other scouts in the dungeons below.

- «It's weird, they left Trost with them», Y/N thought. «Can I help you with something, commandant, since you're now temporarily in charge?»

- While we're waiting to see how events will develop further. They don't let us out of this hall, although I see you're moving around the headquarters freely, despite the armband.

- Eren let me do it out of old friendship. And I can't put up much resistance against the Jaegerists crowds either.

- If we're allowed to proceed, I'll send for you. The executive officer will not be superfluous if we run into danger. Is your team around here?

- They stayed in Trost, as far as I know. In battle, I'm of little use when it comes to the Titans, but if the Marleyans still decide to return... then I think I can do something to help.

Y/N headed back to the corridor, but she was detained.

- And life hasn't spared you?

- Moblit?!

- «Hello, Y/N», the officer greeted her. «How did you get here? And where is Hange?»

- I have no idea where they is. Our main forces are all here, and they... I don't know... Have you also fallen victim to Marleyan wine?

- «Yeah... You probably know that the work sometimes sucked all the juice out of me... working for Hange was sometimes quite stressful, and I... don't cope well with stress and... well, yes, I think it's my own fault», a little drooping Moblit spoke in a voice. «And how did you... end up in our company? There are no young officers here at all and...»