Chapter 33

Sienna's POV

"I heard Kali caught her man cheating on her." Charlie pursed her lips over her glass of wine as she reclined on the sofa.

"Really?" Gabby leaned forward with curious eyes. "With who?"

Charlie shot her a pointed look. "Tessa. Tessa seduced him and succeeded. Now he's back to having two wife candidates. Kali is pissed."

I glanced up from my phone and mumbled, "People actually try seducing other men for a wife position?"

Charlie shot a look at me that screamed, 'Why wouldn't they!?'

"Of course! From what I heard Kali was Dion's only wife candidate after the other two died in the last game. Her spot was secured. Tessa had three other people to compete with. She was better off trying her luck with someone else and she did. I applaud her bravery though. I heard that Dion and the other male had a fight because of her and she almost died."

Gabby gasped. "What? Died?"

Charlie waved a dismissive hand. "It's just men and their pride. Dion managed to hold him back but not before she got a few blows to her face."

"Why is everyone so desperate to become wives? Didn't they say that at the end of the year, if the male still has more than one option, he chooses a wife and then has the others work for the family?" I asked.

"It depends. The male chooses what to do with the women. He can decide to sell her off to someone who doesn't have a wife candidate left... He can choose to keep her as his mistress or personal employee or he can give her back to the family to work for them."

"Which one is the best option?" Gabby asked.

Charlie shrugged. "Your best option is to become a wife. That gives you more power and safety from getting tasked with life-threatening jobs. It's a relaxed job where you stay at home and play wife and mother to your kids."

"And the others?"

She pursed her lips in thought. "Well, it depends. The other safe option would be to work for the family. We don't just discard our own so you'd be well taken care of. They'll provide you with a home and pay you some good money for the work you do. You'll also be assigned to a division. If you're lucky, you can get chosen for the intelligence unit. That way, you won't be in danger at all. Being sold to someone else sounds great but it's not. If a male loses all his wife candidates during the games, he'll lose respect from the family and won't amount to much. Meaning if you're sold to someone like that, you won't gain anything and no one would value your opinion. Staying as a mistress or personal employee depends on the male's character. He could treat you well or treat you like absolute shit and you won't be able to do anything about it. Also, you won't be protected by the family. Only your partner can help you."

"It sounds like all those decisions have drawbacks if you aren't lucky enough though." Gabby pointed out.

I nodded in agreement as I continued scrolling through Social Media.

"They do, but you girls have nothing to worry about so don't think too hard about it." she waved a dismissive hand.

Gabby narrowed her eyes and asked, "How do you know more about the wife candidates' drama than we do?"

A charming smile tilted her lips as she boasted. "Obviously because I have connections. You know what they say. Give a man liquor until he starts to talk."

Gabby laughed. "No one says that."

"They should. It's true enough. A way to a man's heart is through his stomach. My husband's a member of the family so he knows a lot of stuff."