Chapter 26

Sienna's POV

I completely forgot about the game patterns. I remembered being told that the instructions our guides gave us were a hint to each game, but I never thought too deeply about it after the first game. I just decided that whatever happened, happened. There was no way I could've prepared myself for the strength game and quite frankly I'd have been a panicked wreck before the game even started if I had known in advance. With that thought in mind, I never considered what the games were based on because I thought it was better I didn't know.

When no one replied to him, Xavier raised an eyebrow. "Should I give a hint?"

Gene looked over at him with interest. "Would you?"

He nodded. "What was the first thing you were taught when you were kidnapped?"

The code of conduct.

Realization dawned on me at the same moment Xavier happened to glance in my direction. He paused, his lips curling as he complimented, "You caught on quick. Intelligent child."

Genevieve's brows furrowed as she glanced at me with a dirty look as if to say I was just lying to seek attention. I didn't even say anything.

I froze when I felt Xander's hand creep onto my thigh and looked up to find him gazing down at me in amusement. "You want to share your thoughts?" He asked.

I glanced at the others, who watched me curiously, and pursed my lips. Did I have a choice at this point? I nodded and explained what I had realized. "Each game has a theme. The first game was love and the second was strength. The code of conduct for the Roscotto family also has a theme. That's why its importance was stressed so much. That's the hint. There are five games in total and five rules. Strength, Loyalty, Love, Courage, and Life. We've already completed Love and Strength, which means that the next game will be on either Loyalty, Courage, or Life."

Xavier nodded his approval. "You're right."

Christina smiled. "It took me forever to figure that out back in my days."

"Oh? Did you participate in the same games, Christina?" Gene asked.

She shook her head. "No, the themes are always the same but the games are different. For our strength game, we had to run an obstacle course then aim and shoot at a moving dog."

I glanced over in surprise. "You killed animals?"

She winked. "Better than your game of killing actual people, right? My generation had it lucky."

Was that luck? That was equally as sick as our game. Though... compared to ours, I'd have probably preferred that one.

I sighed and picked at my plate absentmindedly. Xaeen, Gene, and Rena began sharing their food.

"Sienna." My name was drawled to the point where my skin crawled with my repulsion.

Xander's hand which was still comfortably resting on my thigh tightened. I looked up to find that Xaeen's attention was back on me.

"How was it? That was your first kill, right?" What kind of question was that? Did he expect me to answer that? Why was he so interested in me anyway? It was very off-putting.

I shrugged and refrained from answering. I didn't have any interest in this topic at all and I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing the answer.

It seemed that my lack of response had managed to calm Xander, who looked like he was starting to get annoyed with the attention his brother was giving me. His hold on my thigh relaxed and instead, he kneaded it. An action I didn't mind. It felt nice to have him so focused on me.