Chapter 89 - Walking in the night

Start from the beginning

She wasn't ready to return home. She thought Armin might still be there and she didn't want to see him. Her sadness left with her tears, and in it's place came anger and a sense of injustice towards herself. She walked slowly towards the center of the city.

«I could go to Levi, he is probably suffering from insomnia again and doesn't sleep. But... that would be wrong. The best option is work. All I need is a cold shower and a couch in the lab»

She went to work. Entering her office, she took a towel, leaving unnecessary things in the office. Having gone to the shower, refreshed and calmed, she returned to the office. Pulling on her father's sweater, she pulled out a blanket and wrapped herself up on the couch in the laboratory in the back room of her office.

***

-Knock Knock-

- She's not here yet, Captain. I would know.

- We agreed to meet at 9 am, she is usually not late.

- I've been here since 8 am, Captain. She didn't come.

Y/N woke up when she heard a knock. Glancing at her watch, she realized she had overslept. Jumping up, she began to dress, listening to the conversation outside the door. After getting dressed, not really caring about her appearance since it was only Hitch and Levi, she quickly made her way to the door, peering outside the office.

- Good morning, I'm here.

- «Y/N?» Hitch looked at her in surprise. «I didn't know you were here. When did you come?»

- «Are you sleeping at work again?» Levi asked a little annoyed.

- «Good morning to you too», Y/N said with a tired exhalation. «You came to talk, so let's go talk», and she disappeared into the office, leaving the door open.

Levi chuckled and walked towards her.

- You obviously don't have a good morning, Y/N.

He closed the door behind him as he watched Y/N settle down on the couch in her office. He sat down opposite her in a chair, and, studying her, he noticed her swollen face, her dull, red, tired eyes. She was wearing her father's old sweater, which he knew about - he remembered that when she was in trouble, she often wore it, remembering her father.

- You have been crying. What's happened?

- It's okay Levi, I'm just tired, you know how much I work.

- Take a day off, I'll cover you at work.

- Don't, I have to work, but thanks.

He didn't answer her, just stood up. He walked over to the table that stood in the corner of her office and set the tea to brew. He looked out of the corner of his eye at Y/N, who took some work papers and began to read them. He saw that her work was clearly not the case. They had been working for wear and tear for two months, but she always controlled herself. When she came to him on Sundays, and these days, she looked calm, a little tired, but quite content. Now he saw disappointment in her... Pouring tea into mugs, he returned to Y/N.

- Thank you for the tea, Levi... I didn't have breakfast.

- Why did you spend the night at work?

- It happened. Please don't question me, I'm fine, okay?

- I won't ask, but I see that it's not about work, Y/N. If he offended you, then I will not ignore it.

- Levi, this is our business, we'll figure it out.

- I don't want to see you the way you were again. We care about each other, those are your words. You're still a woman and I want to help you if I can. He offended and upset you.