Chapter twenty-nine

Arius' Pov

Soft.

Fluttering.

I groaned in pleasure, burying myself in alluring and fluttering softness. It smelled amazing too and my skin prickled with tingles from the feather-like light touches. I sighed in relief when those touches travelled to my hair.

It made me feel so warm and safe and....a giggle pierced my mind and it sounded so beautiful. I rubbed my head against the softness. Ortho has never giggled before though. Remembering that sound made me smile and then I stiffened instantly.

I snapped my eyes open, quickly scrambling away from the softness and came face to face with a stoned face Rosetta. She was sitting on the ground, her legs tucked underneath her butt and her hands lay flat on her thighs.

"You're awake." She said coolly, stood up and wiped the dust off her sweatpants. I stared skeptically at her, and she only quirked a brow in response. She sighed, run her fingers through her hair and walked away, leaving me with nothing but my thoughts.

What the hell happened?

After the bizarre ordeal in the morning, I went back to my home, shut myself in my room and ignored questioning looks of Ash. I'm sure he has a lot of questions about my whereabouts but until I sort out the little information Rosetta gave me, there's nothing much I can do. 

I sat on the little stairs by the throne, rubbing Ortho's fur and lost in thought. Okay, Arius, let's think. Let's start from the beginning. I flinched, wishing I wouldn't be reminded of such memories, but it was the only way to try and figure out what Rosetta said.

She mentioned that I will know in due time but I'm not that patient to wait. My mind suddenly drifted to her. It's been two days since I saw her and no matter how much I tried to deny it, my heart ached...no! I shook my head, snapping myself from such unnecessary thoughts. She meant nothing to me.

"She's nothing but a cold-blooded killer," I mumbled, and Ortho growled softly, staring at me with slightly squinted eyes. I narrowed my eyes at the wolf. 

"Don't tell me you like her?" I exclaimed staring at the black wolf who only snorted and laid his head back on his paw. I frowned, tugging on his ear softly. "Don't give me that attitude."

Ortho for some reason liked Rosetta and there were days he would disappear for long periods. I had a feeling he went to her but at the same time, I never smelt her scent on him, so it made me wonder where he disappeared to. 

I frowned to myself, realizing that she distracted me and groaned. "Ugh! I can't even think straight." I sat up straight, took deep breaths and cleared my mind before focusing back on what mattered.

She said I was going to be betrayed by the one closest to me. A handful of people were close to me and are already dead except for Ash. I continued rubbing Ortho's fur absentmindedly as I thought about the events that took place.

I met Seraphina when I decided to end my life which didn't work. The darkness in the forest was already there when I got back from exiling myself for ten years. From the reports, it was something that was spreading and whoever tried to enter was burnt to a crisp. Then the attacks followed, at first it was random until they started targeting the wolves and vampires.

There must be a reason why they did? Because the wolves and vampires attacked the humans but did those things go for humans?

I bit my lip hard, rubbing my temples. The wolves went feral and attacked the village. It seemed like they were bitten. The incubi I met. in the forest are the ones responsible and according to Rosetta, they are here because of me.