Chapter twenty-five

Rosetta's Pov

The situation was starting to get bit awkward the more we sat there in silence after that bombshell was dropped. I didn't expect meeting Aries' family to turn out like this heck I was planning on even breaking our bond to set him free from his own conflicting feelings.

He needed a villain, and I was willing to be that for him but now...

"You're my son's mate?" Alpha Artemis questioned softly. Her voice really was soothing to listen to, it was like a drug that could get anyone high on it.

I nodded firmly and she frowned, leaned sideways, only for her mate to lower himself slightly for her to whisper something in his ears. He glanced at me and then giggled.

My eyes nearly popped out from their sockets. Did he just? Did a grown man just giggle?

Artemis smacked him on the shoulder, her lips formed into a small pout as she glared at the man beside her. He grinned, those cold grey eyes turning into melted silver when he stared at her. I watched their interaction and mentally smiled to myself.

They loved each other aside the bond that was connecting them together. It was beautiful to look at and a slight pang of jealousy hit me, knowing that I won't ever experience such an interaction.

I subtly clenched my jaw because of the looks I suddenly received from everyone in the room. I might have leaked a bit of my aura into the room unintentionally and I could feel my cheeks burning from the looks Artemis gave me.

I cleared my throat. "Alpha Artemis." I rose and bowed. "It's an Honor to meet you and your mate."

She smiled at me. "It's great to see another family of Dimitri that is not his mate. I've heard so much about you from him and Maria and to think that you're my son's mate." She paused, chuckling a little under her breath.

She was sad. I could sense it all over her and her mate. Alpha Storm was battling so many emotions at once. Anger, sadness, guilt, frustration...I frowned. What happened here?

"Artemis, what happened?" Dimitri asked in concern, and I looked on as she choked on a sob she had been holding in for a long time. Storm's arms quickly went around her shoulders, and he pulled her into a side hug.

She buried her face in his chest and sobbed. Their daughter Astria watched her mother sadly and got down from the couch. She walked towards us and smiled sadly.

"The witch betrayed mommy and mommy found out that brother was taken away from birth and mommy's memories were locked up by grandma and the witch, so mommy beat the witch up and locked her." She said in one breath and Dimitri and I both stiffened at the same time.

What is she saying? I glanced sideways to see Dimitri staring at Artemis and Storm in shock.

"E-Esme did what?" He breathed out shakily and I frowned trying to put the pieces together. Aries was abandoned as a kid by his mother but at the same time Artemis was not aware she had a kid, so Aries was taken from his mother.

If I remember that night clearly, he was running away from Lady Veronica. It suddenly dawned on me. 

Aries was abused by my kind. 

He had to live thinking he had no mother and on top of that suffered under someone who I'm sure promised him security but was not. 

"My son..." Artemis cried softly. "He suffered so much, and I-I wasn't there, I wasn't there for him."

"I failed him as a mother!" She cried out, the tears streaming from her eyes and onto Storm's shirt. Storm tightened his hold on her, a pained look on his face as he comforted his mate. He was equally struggling because if what Dimitri told me about their past, Storm was probably dead during that time.