And The Rain Fell

It had been two days since the Summer Festival, but to Thoma and Ayaka, it felt like two weeks, work just seemed to keep on piling as both were kept busy.

  "Ah! Thoma! Can you deliver this message to the messenger? It's just in regards to fireworks." Ayaka said.

 "You mean from that one firework Yoimiyer set off and made a tree catch on fire?" Thoma asked. 

 "Eh? That happened? Ah... wait... Nii-sama did mention something about that..." Ayaka muttered, "Oh, but no, Nii-sama just asked me to look over this letter and make sure it made sense and then send it off. But the letter is addressed to Liyue."

  "Got it!" Thoma nodded, "Do you know where the messenger is?"

   "Let's see... last time I saw him... he was in the kitchen... maybe?" Ayaka trailed off, "Sorry, I don't exactly know where he is."

   "Oh! Shall we make a bet on where he is?" Thoma asked, excitement in his eyes, "The winner gets a favour from the loser!"

  "Ah, that sounds fun," Ayaka laughed, "Hm... since I'm making you deliver the letter, I'll let you have the first guesses."

  "Hehe. we'll both have.... three, how about that?"

  "Sounds good to me."

  "Then... my guesses are..." Thoma let himself think for a bit, "The kitchen, the housekeeper's break room, and.... in front of the house!"

  "Ah! You stole mine!" Ayaka laughed, "I think he's in front of Nii-sama's office, in his office, or... the docks in Ritou?"

  "Eh?! All the way there? Oh! Wait! That makes sense... geez... I should've said that..."

  "Well, we'll see!" Ayaka smiled, "Make sure you don't get hurt or anything if you can't find the messenger in the estate, there's been a few rumours about some attacks happening on the road towards Ritou."

  "Hm? Wouldn't it be best for us to send some people out then to see what the problem is?" Thoma suggested.

  "I believe Nii-sama talked to Tetsuya about it..." Ayaka tried to remember, "But since that area isn't under the Yashiro Commission, I believe Tetsuya said something about how he'd need a letter from Nii-sama just in case the Tenryou Commission would try to arrest him for violence? Hm... I don't remember that well."

 "Well, I'll do my best to be on the lookout, I'll take my polearm with me too." Thoma nodded.

 "Thank you, Thoma." Ayaka smiled.

 "Hehe, M'lady, let's both think of whatever favour we want the other to do if we win." Thoma grinned.

  "Hm... I'll think hard about it." Ayaka's eyes had a mischievous glint in them.

   "I'll be going now!" Thoma closed the door behind him as he left Ayaka's office.

                                                             ...

  The messenger yawned as he exited the housekeeper's break room with three new letters.

  "So Sharar wanted to send one off to her family in Natlan, Mina just needed one to her grandmother in Ritou and... hm.... I can't this one's handwriting so I suppose it's Abdiel's," the messenger squinted his eyes and then nodded, "To his parents."

  Carefully putting the letters into his bag, the messenger headed off.

  "Oh, right! I forgot to give Lord Ayato some letters!" the messenger sighed, "I'll need to do that now!"