The Whispers

Ayaka and Thoma entered the hospital and did their usual visits. Sharar was going to return back to work in two days, Abdiel was waking up every so often (and when he was, Abdiel would either eat or talk), and Ayato would sometimes be able to open his eyes, talk a little, and then fall back asleep. Basically, everything was going well.

  It had been a month now since Ayato and his attendants got hospitalized and that month had not been kind to Ayaka. The Winter Festival would be happening soon and she was still in charge of organizing that as well as keeping up to date with Ayato's stuff.

   Even Yoimiya who had stopped by last week to discuss sending lanterns up in the sky like she had heard was a tradition in Liyue had to leave as quick as possible as Thoma had warned her about Ayaka's workload.

   "Don't try to talk to her for a long time Yoimiyer," Thoma hissed, "M'lady is very busy."

   "With what?" Yoimiya had questioned.

   Right, Thoma had forgotten that very few in Inazuma were aware of Ayato's condition. So, Thoma simply decided to stay quiet and tell her that there was an unexpected amount of work needed for this festival.

   "Ayaka looks so tired." Yoimiya noted after she had walked out of Ayaka's office.

   "I wish I could help." Thoma sighed.

    After Yoimiya left the Kamisato estate, Ayaka didn't waste any time to put her head down and begin going through the next pile of documents. As for the staff members, things were going a bit quicker and smoother since Sharar had started working again.

  Even though she claimed she couldn't work as efficiently as before, she was still doing better than most.

  "Thoma, Abdiel wanted me to tell you that the Wall Slam always works." Sharar said a few days after she came back from the hospital.

 "What?" Thoma raised an eyebrow.

 "Don't ask me," Sharar replied, "I went to the hospital yesterday and stopped by to check on Abdiel and Young Lord's condition. Then I said how busy Lady Ayaka was and he told me to tell you that and immediately fell asleep."

  Thoma couldn't help but laugh and when Sharar asked for details, all he said was, "It's a long story."

   But just as Thoma thought that he couldn't add any more concerns to his plate, he began to notice multiple staff members of the Kamisato estate whispering and muttering behind his back.

  "Oh, Haru, could you please deliver lunch to Lady Ayaka?" Itsuki questioned as poured soup into a bowl.

   "Huh? Shouldn't Thoma do it?" Haru asked.

   "Thoma's busy at the moment." Itsuki replied and gestured over to Thoma who was cutting onions and filleting an eel.

    "Uh, alright then." Haru shrugged and someone snickered.

   "Trying to get them alone, I see." a kitchen staff member laughed.

   "Are you trying to be a wingman, Haru?" the one beside them added.

   Thoma, who had overheard these whispers, had a confused look on his face and then looked over to Bronya.

   "What was that all about?" Thoma asked.

   Bronya turned to face him and set down a knife that she was cutting meat with, she then squinted her eyes as if struggling to remember his name.

   "Thoma," Bronya finally said, "Based on those whispers and the fact that they were talking about you and Lady Ayaka, I would assume that they're referring to the recent rumours."