Determination

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."

- Norman Cousins

                                                                        ...

     At that moment when the messenger told Ayaka that her brother and attendants were hospitalized and were not waking up, Ayaka could feel a part of her die that day. The part that she had that told her that she still had another family member with her.

    Ayaka wanted to cry but not in front of the messenger, right now, she was representing the Kamisato clan and the Yashiro Commission, she could not cry.

   "S-same hospital, right? Which room?" Thoma demanded.

   "T-the same one that Lady Kamisato was in!" the messenger stuttered, choking on sobs.

   "T-Thoma, let's go." Ayaka said and grabbed her boyfriend's hand, she took off outside and while the wind was beating against his face, Thoma kept his eyes closed and thought, 'Why is it that the kindest people have to suffer the most? '

    As far as Thoma was concerned, there was not a single soul in the entirety of Teyvat who was kinder and more pure than Ayaka's. Even though Thoma believed that she deserved everything good and beautiful in the world, it was clear that the archons or whichever god ruled over this world didn't think the same.

   "I pray again... to anyone who will listen to someone like me... just keep her happy..." Thoma thought and begged, "I would give anything to make sure she can just live a free life."

    Ayaka's entire body was shivering as she ran down the stairs, rain had begun to fall and Ayaka wondered if it would be impossible for her to ever live a life free of unneeded losses.

   "Thoma..." Ayaka sobbed, "I'm sure they'll be alright."

   Although Ayaka was talking to Thoma, it was more like she was assuring herself that everything would be alright.

    "Mhm, I 'm sure everything will be fine." Thoma chocked on tears and nodded.

    The rain beat down on Ayaka's face but she refused to be defeated by something as measly as the weather. Around Ayaka, there was a chill and the rain froze in mid-air, hitting the ground and shattering into small pieces.

   Eventually, Ayaka and Thoma arrived at the hospital and ran towards Room 666. Abdiel and Sharar were the Room 667 and 665 over but from what they had briefly heard, only one of the two was awake. Sadly, Ayato still had yet to regain consciousness.   

    Ayaka and Thoma slowly entered Room 666 and Ayaka was tightly clutching Thoma's arm,  afraid to see her brother in the hospital bed. Unfortunately, when she opened her eyes, she saw Ayato's almost lifeless body and buried her head into Thoma.

     "Right now, Master Ayato's current state is very delicate and fragile," the doctor explained, "His attendant, Miss Sharar, is barely awake and is in no condition to explain exactly what happened."

   "When is he expected to wake up?" Ayaka asked softly, clutching her boyfriend's arm as tears soaked his sleeve.

    "So far, we have no way of knowing." the doctor replied in a grave voice, "From what we can tell right now, he has a concussion, cracked rib cage, and broken bones."

   "What is Abdiel and Sharar's condition?" Ayaka questioned in a delicate voice, it was like a thin piece of glass that could break at any moment.

    "Mister Abdiel's condition is worse," the doctor trembled, "Worse than Master Ayato's. Mister Abdiel has a concussion, internal and external bleeding, broken rib cage along with broken bones and a broken ankle.  As for Miss Sharar, she has everything that Master Ayato has but just not as severe."