Making its Way Around

Everything in Thoma's hand dropped when he heard the letter that Jean had sent Ayaka.

  "S-Stormterror attacked again?" Thoma's mouth was agape and his eyes were wide, "I-is everyone okay?! Is Mondstadt okay?!"

  "Yes, calm down Thoma," Ayaka reassured, "There's more to the letter and Jean promises that everything is okay."

   It had been around a month since Isa's funeral and since then, Thoma hasn't heard any word from Jean. As this was normal, he wasn't worried, but when he had overheard a rumour about Mondstadt being attack by a dragon known as Stormterror, Thoma began to worry and it took Ayaka days of convincing that everything would be fine to have him not jump on the next boat headed to Liyue.

    A week after the funeral, Ayaka had received a letter from Jean that practically begged her to not let Thoma come to Mondstadt no matter the news and to keep the letter a secret from Thoma.

    After that, no matter what letter Ayaka sent that questioned if anything was wrong, Jean wouldn't reply which was naturally unnerving.

   "S-so? What else did Jean say?" Thoma questioned.

    "Stormterror was quelled, Mondstadt only suffered minor damage, no one is hurt," Ayaka quickly summarized the letter but then paused when she read the last part.

    "What's wrong?" Thoma asked nervously, off-put by Ayaka's sudden silence.

    "Mondstadt received help from... a traveller with a flying companion." Ayaka finished.

    "Like.... an Abyss Mage companion...?" Thoma raised a confused eyebrow.

    "Jean doesn't explain what the companion looks like." Ayaka replied, she flipped the letter to look on the other side but found it blank, "All she says about the traveller is that they're looking for their sibling, is very strong and reliable, and is going to Liyue next..."

    Ayaka leaned back in her chair and put a finger to her chin as she began to think.

   "A strong, reliable traveller who is looking for their sibling..." Ayaka muttered.

   "They helped save Mondstadt from Stormterror..." Thoma mumbled, "Just how strong can they be...?"

                                                                            ...

    Kiana sighed as she leaned on her right hand.

   "What's wrong?" Itsuki asked as he grabbed the knife that was beside her and began to chop the onions.

   "I feel like I should work more things other than just the kitchen." Kiana sighed again.

   "Why?" Thoma questioned and then grinned as he added, "Don't you love us?"

   "I do! But I feel like I could be doing a lot more." Kiana picked up the pot of water and began to boil it.

  "So what do you want to do then?" Itsuki poured the green onions in a bowl.

  "I'm not sure." Kiana shrugged, "Maybe guard duty?"

  "From the kitchen to guard duty...?" Thoma trailed off.

   "It'll be fun? Right?" Kiana smiled.

   "I mean.... you can ask." Thoma suggested.

   "Who works guard duty anyway?" Kiana looked at Itsuki, expecting him to know.

   "Don't look at me," Itsuki sighed, "I don't know any of them."

    "But you're over in that area a lot!" Kiana exclaimed.