forty eight

Harry Styles
I close the door sadly, everything inside me is numb. I breathe out and everything was blurry from my eyes being teared up.

I don't know what just happened.

It all happened so fast. One minute I'm laying next to Salem, we just woke up and she's laying on me and I thought my life was complete, i hem the next thing I know, she's getting a phone call which I just thought was Heather or her mom (whom I never got to meet) but to my understanding, by her tone, it was neither which is why I sat up. Once she hung up, she started saying I called in on her.

And I never called her work.

I don't even know the place she works for, so how would I know what the phone number is?

I love her so much, like..I'm actually crazy for her. I don't understand why she doesn't get that. She knows I love her, and she knows If never hurt her, but she said I did.

But I didn't.

No one's going to believe me. Fuck, I have a 6 almost 7 year old, and I used to try everything I can to go on dates and try to get back out there, and now that I had a babysitter that was hot as anything, people are going to think I used her for my own personal uses.

If Salem says anything to anyone, I'm going to look like a terrible person. I'm going to get called things I've never imagined myself to get called.

I shakily sit on the couch, silence filling the house. I stare at the blank TV, and before I know it, my eyes screw shut, and the tears from my eyes are streaming down my cheeks.

I don't even know what happened. What even happened? Surely Salem would know I would never call her work, and tell them that we slept together and dated. Who would do that?

I love her, so why would I? I'm so confused.

I don't know what to say to her, that can make her believe me. Someone must have called her work, pretending to be me. I was with her all yesterday, I came home straight after my meeting, and then we had sex, and then we fell asleep, how could I have called her work?

I was just starting to think I had a future with her. Everything was going so well, and then...she was just ripped away from me. I miss her so much. I sat in the couch, it was silent in the house. I didn't know what to do. I was staring at the wall, trying to think of a way to fix this.

I stand up and rush to the bedroom, to get my phone. I walk in the messy room and open my phone.

Me: please salem, i will send you prof, i did not call your work. i do t even know one where you work, so how could i get its number?

I press sent but it only says delivered. My chest was heaving hard core, because I wanted her to know it really was not me. I hear a knock at the door, which makes me swallow my throat. I want it to be Salem but I know it's not gonna be here. I stand up to open the door, wiping my eyes. I open it and I see Darcy with her backpack, and she grins at me as I open the door. I see Hayley leaning on her car and I nod to her as a thank you.

"Hi daddy!" she grins.

"Hey baby.." I whisper. I close the door, and she puts her bag down. She runs down the hall and I turn away from her view and wipe my eyes, so she doesn't see me crying or upset.

"Where's Salem?" she comes back in, her hair a mess.

I sigh. "Come here." I pat the seat next to me. She jumps up on the spot next to me and she looks around.

"You won't see Salem."

"Not until Monday?" She asks, but I shake my head.

"No." I shake my head stil.

"Oh...when?"

"She won't be babysitting you anymore baby."

"What...why not?" She asks softly.

"Because your dad is silly, and thought dating her would be a good idea."

She looks at me like she's trying to understand. I sigh. "She quit today...and I can't get her back."

"Why?"

"I'm asking the same thing. She thinks I did something so would never do, ever."

"Why?"

"If I knew, I would tell you, I don't know where she got that from."

"So...you no longer together?"

I look down. "No..she broke up with me."

She pouts. "Aw. I love Salem."

"I know..I do too."

"Then get her back, please daddy?"

I wanted to cry again. "I can't."

"But..I want Salem!"

"There's nothing I can do, Darcy." My voice cracks. "I wish there was—" My voice kept breaking, to the point I cover my face. I take deep breaths. "The only thing I want right now is to fix whatever happened."

"Tell her it wasn't you."

"I did, sweet. She didn't want to listen, and there's nothing I can do about that."

"But who's going to be my new friend?"

She calls babysitters her friend.

"I don't think you need one. I think you should start going to school."

"B-But I don't want to go to school." She complains.

"You'll be fine."

"No!" She shakes her head. "I want Salem!"

I was expecting her to react like this. But I have no other choice. "I'll call a few schools to see if I can get you enrolled."

"No!" she screams.

"Don't scream at me. I am not in the mood." I was monotone.

"But you need to get Salem back."

"I can't, okay!" I raise my voice a little.

And then she suddenly burst into to tears. Her whole face says it all, that she really is sad Salems not coming back.

I pick her up and put her on my lap, as she cries. I hug her and she actually hugs me back. "I'm sorry sweetheart." I whisper. "There's no other way."

She just cries, and I could feel guilt washing over me. Did I call in?

I was now questioning myself, but I honestly had no idea. I tend to do stupid shit when I'm drunk. But I wasn't even drunk, not for ages.

"But..I wanted a baby sister." She pulls away and wipes her eyes.

"You wanted me and Salem to have a baby?"

She nods. "With the magic you said."

"That's...not how it works." I shake my head.

"But that's what you said.."

"I know, but you're too young to understand."

"No Im not." She protests.

"I used magic things that wouldn't magically make Salem have a baby." I filter, I was not going to tell her until she's old enough to date, or she'll learn it in school.

"But why!" She whines.

"I can tell you right now, she wouldn't want to have a child, not now anyway."

"Why?"

"Darcy.." I warn. "She's not pregnant."

She looks confused. "She doesn't have a baby in her. We didn't use magic words."

"Oh."

"Anyway, I'm sorry, but you'll have to go to school, okay?"

She huffs. "Fine."

//
💀