What went wrong? (Dark)

It was a brief yet long time.

Sasha contemplated her life. What she had done, what she had seen. The path she followed and the one she paved.

What went wrong?

The answer wasn't unknown. The problem was... Sasha had too many answers to that question.

Her parents were definitely not at fault. They were loving parents and raised their children with love and care, but also with the necessary strictness.

Sasha's mother died long time ago. Sasha was a kid, she didn't remember her time with her mother that well. Her biggest memory of her mother was... the funeral.

As the only support of their family, her father had little time to grief his beloved's death. Sasha admired his father, who raised the two kids alone. Unfortunately, few years after losing her mother because of an illness, Sasha lost her father at war.

Sasha was devastated. Unlike her little brother, she remembered her father. The strong pilar who consoled the kids on her mother's funeral instead of crumbling himself.

Nevertheless, Sasha never resented the other side, the one who killed her father. Her father was a soldier, as it was a good paid job. As a soldier, her father's job was to kill his opponent or get killed by it. Even if they had to pray to an empty grave, Sasha didn't hate the enemy. If you are afraid of death, you should never try to kill. It was the logical way of thinking.

Regrettably, Sasha's little brother didn't think the same way. Ralph wanted to eliminate the other side.

Why?

No matter how many times Sasha heard the answer to her question, she never understood Ralph's reasons.

To avenge their parents...

Ralph didn't even remember his father's face nor their time together. He was too young at that time. He didn't even feel the need to visit the grave.

To avenge the fallen soldiers...

They were the invading force. They were killed in enemy territory. They were soldiers who were trying to kill civilians. Who can fault at anyone to answer when attacked? Even if a massacre was seen as excessive by others, it was war. Those who critiqued the counterattack weren't ready to assume the consequences of their aggression.

To save our country...

The country lived a hard time in the past, true. It was right after they lost the war, true. But it wasn't the enemy's fault. The country had been corrupted and therefore, heading to its fall. The losing war just accelerated the process.

Also, it was all in the past. Now, a righterous king was leading the country towards a more stable and prosperous lifestyle.

To free our country from the puppet king...

Ralph was too young to remember, and maybe Sasha too, didn't remember too well. But hearing the elderly was enough to learn which government was better. The past, when nobles abused their powers and commoners lived in poverty, or now, when even common citizens were allowed and had the time to study.

Moreover, they received a lot of support from the country which they tried to invade. Sasha remembered, how she struggled to scrap what little food she could get after her father's death and how the new government was strong enough to support give her family.

Sasha still regretted it. Not stopping her brother. She suspected that Ralph was used, even brainwashed, by some weird group. Sasha knew, but never expected her brother to get involved with one that dangerous.

After Sasha learned of Ralph's association with the rebels, she tried to get him out there. Sasha failed, and few months later, she lost contact.

Sasha looked for Ralph everywhere. There was nothing. As if he never existed to begin with.

Miraculously, a hint was found. A rebel to be judged by the law.

As a public prosecutor, Sasha managed to get an interview with the caught suspect. A higher up in the rebel group. One who refused to talk and was on the dead row for kidnap and aggression.

The story was sad. Ralph belonged to the group that man lead. After kidnapping some kids for slavery, they were caught and eliminated. Only the leader remained for the public to spectate.

It was expected... at least on the rational side. Sasha understood. As a leader, you control people if you are a tyrant, but also to maintain peace. It was necessary. She knew...

She knew, but she couldn't accept it.

Ralph was the only family left to her. In a hostile world, where no adult could be truly trusted. The only family who reminded her of the warm times with the four family members.

The prisoner saw Sasha's gaze and secretly revealed their group's remaining hideout.

Sasha wavered. She never agreed to the rebels' group way of doing things. Moreover, there was no need to change a society that was improving.

But they had to pay. Those rebels for roping her brother in this. She would destroy them. The ones who killed him... maybe she will never manage to harm them, but at least, she would make them remember her.

From then on, regrets pilled one after another on Sasha's conscience.

Killing and terrorism were awful, to say the least. Why involve citizens who were enjoying their daily life?

Kidnapping and slavery were horrible, no matter the context. It never mattered if the other side was from an enemy country or a different race.

The human centrism on the group was intolerable. They were all living peacefully by now, why bother making enemies out of nowhere?

As the plans were stupid, their failures were useful to placate her wounded heart. Sasha knew, she was just covering the pain with guilt.

The day had come. A big attack was ready. Tomorrow, they would reveal themselves to the world and start a change. The "time to liberate humanity" has come...

It was just plain tertorism, but Sasha still needed them to-

The world began to spin. Sasha fell for no apparent reason. The rest were on the floor too.

As expected, they are fast...

Sasha understood. Her end was decided from the moment she joined the rebels. In that brief moment between herself being cut and her consciousness to disappear, Sasha finished contemplating her life.

A funny thought crossed her life at last. Her father, her brother and Sasha herself were killed because of opposing the same demon lord.

Why would anyone oppose a demon lord? Why oppose one who wants peace?

Her family was truly full of fools. 

Sasha's last sight was full of blood, dead revolutionaries, and a cold looking blue haired humanoid with a horn.

Tempest daily lifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara