Fulfilling job

After so many years building things here and there, the new projects were reduced in number. By consequence, the yellow numbers were not needed at big numbers.

Slowly but steady, many left. Some to make a home for themselves, others to pursue their dreams, some to leave place for new generations.

When Geld found a quick-witted successor, he realized his turn to leave had come.

It was confusing. The job he did for all that long time would stop being his.

He asked for counseling.

"Isn't it fine to do whatever you want to do?"

A very Rimuru-like answer. It was fine for him to continue in the yellow numbers. It was also fine for him to look for a new work.

Geld was still worried. His past wasn't the most dreamlike one...

"You know... the orcs are no sinners... that includes you, Geld"

It was amazing. As if Rimuru was reading his thoughts. But Geld dodged Rimuru's gaze. Even if he was forgiven, even if it happened long ago, there were still days when he...

"I ate the Orc Lord whole, sins included. Every single one. From that point on, the orcs were blameless. If anyone had any problem with it, they would have to solve it with me first... that's the privilege of the strong..."

From time to time, Rimuru would look so cold and cruel, fitting the image of a demon lord.

"...but, even if I didn't, you did enough to repent for that..." Rimuru was still Rimuru, the kind master Geld had chosen, the savior of his brethren.

"Rimuru-sama... is it fine?" (Geld)

"It's fine. No one will blame you guys any more. So, do what you want, what makes you happy" (Rimuru)

Geld once thought about returning to an orc village and stay there, quietly, until he was needed again. But at his lord advise, he searched for something else he enjoyed.

Geld thought about his work. At the beginning, it was something he did for repentance. His kin marched through the forest devouring all, including their fallen comrades.

At the beginning, other orcs might have worked for the food. To contribute with the rest. To help their peers.

When the first results were visible, there was satisfaction. Since then, a well-done work was something that fulfilled him.

Geld needed some tangible results to feel that satisfaction. That's why, when the constructions work ended, he began making toys.

Building houses, making toys. It was the same. His hands once in the look for food or blood, were now making something for others. Once he finished, he let go of his art. The receptor would have a smile on the face.

Fulfilling days did not last forever. As his store put at display more toys, Geld got to watch some kids with desiring eyes who never entered the store.

Geld realized once again. Tempest was a good place. A country like this where most of its citizens could enjoy their lives was a dream come true. For their race that suffered from hunger, it was like heaven...

But it was far from perfect. Rimuru himself never aimed for a perfect country. He preferred to everyone help each other with their imperfections.

Even in the brightest day, there would be a shadow.

Even in this rich country, some orphans were not cared well enough. The resources were plenty. The problem was the will.

Rimuru wished for the kids to be protected at any cost. But as he left the politic sphere, these details were slowly getting out of his control.

The orphanages were a little abandoned. The budget was just enough to fill the basic needs and the workers were just enough to keep the place working. If even one of them got sick, they would be shorthanded.

Even if the world was at peace, Geld was still a commander. He was also a patron and had a way to reach fellow patrons and higher ups. It was easier for Geld to secure more funds and personnel than most of the citizens.

With a lot of his friends' aid, Geld made his move.

He obtained a better building. It was almost free when he offered to be in charge of the building, since there were many waiting to learn from him.

With enough funds gotten, thanks to some particularly interested patrons, more workers and resources were secured. Was Rimuru-sama involved?

Little by little, orphanages around Tempest got better. The orphan children now had a safer and better place to grow up.

"Yo!"

As always, his lord had a talent for showing up out of nowhere.

"I am glad you are doing fine" (Rimuru)

"It's all thanks to your advice back then" Geld wore a warm gaze as he watched the kids running.

"Bye bye, uncle Geld!" The kids waved before going to school. Geld smiled back

"Aren't you quite popular?" (Rimuru)

"The kids are happy every time you come to play with them, Rimuru-sama" (Geld)

"And you? Are you happy?" (Rimuru)

Geld thought about that question for a bit. He, who started as an orc. Rimuru saved his kin and brought them to this city. A greedy demon lord who always did whatever he wanted, who always did the best for his people.

Geld was blessed. He could make the youngest look forward the next day. Something that neither him nor his father could allow themselves to dream of.

Geld found work here. He got fulfilling days. And now he got a dream to pursue, that made him await the next day...

"Yes... I am full now" (Geld)

 I am full now" (Geld)