Subordinates observation 1

I did it! It was really difficult, but Ciel-sensei's guidance helped a lot.

For once, I managed to use <Void God Azatoth> to fine control the existence I emit. Normally, I would use it to control the magicules only, but now even my presence is thinned.

To explain a little further... I normally control the amount of magicules I emit. If I use my skill, I can make that no magicule is emitted. It helps against some detection skills, but I am still visible for everyone.

Now that my presence is thinned, the people around me will have less perception about my existence, so they are more likely to ignore me. It will be as if they are seeing the landscape or a pebble.

Of course, we can still talk if I start the conversation. Also, if someone is looking for me, or has high perception like Milim, that person will notice me. Even so, it is a good way to avoid unwanted attention.

Why don't I use an invisibility spell or something like that?

Because is a bother!

I can get spotted by the demons and some detectors at stores. I put them there to prevent robbery, but they get in my way.

Also, if I were to use a spell, I can't interact with people normally. Instead, I can still hold conversations with the ones I chose by thinning my presence.

So... after finishing my work for the day, I adventured outside. It was fun since the people working for me didn't greet nor watch me while going out of the building.

Here in the town people are yet to notice me. Strolling became so easy, without being stopped by everyone. Of course, I like to interact with everyone, but it's annoying when they stop to bow or they become nervous in my presence. I am still a salaryman at heart...

While enjoying this new experience, I spotted my first obstacle. Ultima was just a few hundred meters in front of me.

My first thought was avoiding her.

Demons have good sensing of their surroundings and Ultima belongs to the top of the demon race, she is a primordial demon after all. Moreover, ever since I gifted her the souls she evolved into a Demon King, so she has pretty high probability of catching me.

Soon, that same thought lit in me my competitive side. I wanted to bypass her, to prove that my technique was good enough to fool someone like that.

Between my patrons, Ultima's ability to perceive her surroundings was a little adobe the best, so it was a little high challenge. But it only made me more eager to do it.

How would I challenge my hiding abilities against Ultima's perception? Easy, I would follow her and come closer little by little. Of course, since I am a gentleman, I know in which situations I need to stop.

She was patrolling normally. If anything, she looked bored. There are not many dumb enough to commit a crime here in Tempest after all.

After wandering from here to there, Ultima deviated from her supposed route. But then, she started to expand her <Magic perception>.

Phew, that was close.

Thankfully, I adjusted my power from the beginning so that my existence and magicules would blend with the environment, not disappear. After all, it would be weird if there was a spot without magicules in a city full of monsters.

But why did she suddenly do that? I couldn't see anything suspicious, or has she found me?

<<It looks like she is trying to avoid people>>

I found the reason as I followed. She went to the market to buy... food. Or more likely, fresh ingredients.

That other day, after having a taste of... that thing... I heard that she was learning cook from Shion.

Not Shuna but Shion. No wonder how something like that revived...

I am sure that unlike the clueless Shion, Ultima was developing a torture method...

I was so sure I would witness Ultima's poison lab. I felt pity for Zonda who was dragged as a taster...

Surprisingly, the cooking process was normal. Ultima was using a normal cooking guide and normally cooking process.

The product was edible food... no, it was better than that. But the cook wasn't satisfied.

"As expected from my lady" (Zonda)

"Zonda" (Ultima)

"Regrettably, it has yet to reach hers" (Zonda)

"Argh, another failure... I can't win like this..." (Ultima)

Win? Is she perhaps talking about the Grand cook competence?

"Let's try again. Zonda, you better stay here" (Ultima)

"Yes, my lady" (Zonda)

After few tries, Ultima gave up and tried something new.

<<Interesting>>

Indeed. Ultima was channeling magicules into the food while cooking. The failures went from being less tasty to look like... Shion's poisonous food. To think it was made that way...

<<I am analyzing the method, to reproduce it>>

While you are at it, since it's magicules, it can be reversed, right?

<<Most probably, but to confirm I need to study a sample. Also, it's bound to be interesting the effect produced by different attributes. For example, the difference between holly magic, magicules and spiritons>>

"I did it!" (Ultima)

While Ciel and I were discussing about the possibilities of what we just witnessed at Ultima's experiments, she succeeded.

It didn't look poisonous, but rather... it looked tasty.

It was calling me. The smell... no it was something other than that

<<The magicules are mixed with the smell and other sensorial elements. As a magic born, you are attracted to it>>

So, a human wouldn't be attracted to it?

<<Probably not. It might be even poisonous to humans>>

Because of the magicules...

<<Right>>

As I saw something unexpected, I was also getting tired from focusing on my presence, so I returned.

A few days later, Shuna invited me over for a food tasting. Many of our friends prepared food for share and I was invited. There, I saw Ultima's dish.

I guess it wasn't for the grand cook competence.

But I was glad since I got to try it... and it was a new level of deliciousness. 

Image from https://twitter.com/suisen1105/status/1733700578268815523?t=QhG9dFSShbxU_yAJrBHuqQ&s=19