Chapter Five

Ezra opened the door. His sparkly blue eyes staring at me with worry. He invited me in and told me to sit down. I walked into his apartment and sat down on the couch. He sat next to me and cradled me in his arms. He knew something was badly wrong.

We sat there in silence with him pulling me closer. No matter how much closer he pulled me in, I couldn't feel further away from him. I felt distant from the man I loved most in the world. Why did I feel like this? I put it down to hormones. But I knew that I loved Ezra and no matter how distant I felt from him, he loved me. I felt safe when I was with him and I'm sure the baby does too, even though at the moment it is probably about the size of a blueberry.

Eventually I shuffled out of Ezra's arms and sat up.

"Ezra I have to tell you something..."I said slowly.

"Fire away," he said.

"I, uh, I," I stuttered. "I'm pregnant."

Ezra sat there in shock for a few seconds before he pulled me back into his arms. He kissed the top of my head like he always does when something upsetting happens.

"Everything is gonna be okay, we will work this out. Together. Okay?" He assured me.

This was not the reaction I thought he would give. I thought he was gonna ask for space. But instead he was supportive.

"Have you told your parents?" Ezra asked me.

"My mom came to the doctors with me yesterday, and she seemed pretty angry. I have to tell my dad tomorrow." I said.

"Okay, do they know who the father is?"

"I told them that I was drunk with the girls and didn't remember anything after that."

Ezra just sat there for a minute.

"You'd rather tell your parents you were drunk than about me fathering our child? Are you that ashamed of me?"

"I was on the spot, I'd just found out I was pregnant Ezra! I didn't think you'd want them knowing. I'm not ashamed of you. I love you. Please don't be mad."

"I just need some space to think about this right now."

"Ezra.."

He shows me out of the door and then shuts it. There it was. The 'I need space' line. I've seen too many romance movies too know that this always leads to a break-up. I head home not being entirely sure what had just happened. I'm slowly headed to the front door where I find my dad just getting home from work.

"Aria? Your mom told me you were staying at Spencer's tonight, why are you home?" My dad asked.

"I just wanted to be at home." I told him.

I walked inside and went up to my bedroom where I was followed by my mom.

"You weren't at Spencer's house. Were you?" My mom said.

"Why do you ask?" I said.

"I called Mrs. Hastings and she said you weren't there."

"Mom-"

"You know who the father is don't you?"

"I- yes."

"Why did you lie?"

"Because I was scared."

"You should be. I'd like you to leave. I can't have a child of mine lying to me about something as important as the father of their child."

"But what about dad?"

"You tell him and then you go."