45

CHAN

"Okay, you grandpa why are we all here?" Was the first thing that Seungmin said as the complete lower dorm came into the upper dorm room. The eight boys were squeezed in by the call of Chan.

The youngest ones took over the sofa from poor Changbin who was quickly forced to sit on the floor in front of it like Jisung. Hyunjin who saw the revolution coming had taken the empty one seat. Minho stayed standing with Chan but not beside each other. Chan was standing in front of the tv anxious while Minho leaned nonchalantly on the backrest of the couch.

"It's always so weird to have him call us all together," Jisung speaks while eating a precious pack of chips. "Yeah, and it's always something to scold us over," Jeongin adds. "Like last time we got called over was before the first time we met the girls, you told us to behave," Felix sulkily looks at the older Aussie who chuckles back. "I don't really think that was a misplaced talk though," Changbin admits.

"Well, what about the one we received last summer before we visited Chan's family?" Hyunjin cuts in. "Again that probably was for the best," Minho mutters. "So what is it this time? It's not like we're going anywhere or meeting someone's family this time, right," Jisung laughs at first but no one is joining him. "Right? I'm not missing something?" He double-checks. "No, no I just have something to announce," Chan assures the confused squirrel.

"Something to announce, you couldn't just text to the group chat?" Seungmin questions. Chan rubs his temples. These kids were always so impatient, he groans internally. "Maybe we should let Channie hyung speak," Felix says as soon as he realizes Chan certainly has a reason for this. Chan sighs as the boys finally stop asking questions.

He swiftly glances at everyone in the room. Here we go... "So you all know about my uncle's condition right, I've talked about it and-" "Is he?!" Jisung cut him off. Chan shakes his head and hands, "oh no! No! Not yet at least." "Ya, Han Jisung keep your mouth shut for a bit!" Seungmin exclaims. "Sorry! Do continue."

Chan exhales shaking his head, these dorks. "He isn't doing that well and um, it's probably only a matter of time before he," Chan sucks in air. It would sound so blunt just expressed like that. He didn't feel comfortable using the term 'dead' even if he had slowly started accepting the fact that his uncle would be gone soon. "Well, you know. And he requested something from me."

Chan rubs his hands together out of nervousness. His uncle's words echoed in his head. He was right and that is why Chan needs to talk about this with the boys. Come on Chan! You are a 'reliable leader'. He remembers what Eenha had once said. A title that made him anxious that day yet now he felt motivated by it. It was something he wanted to aim for.

This would be his first step closer to that goal. "We all love his cafe don't we?" He buys himself a little more time. Like he usually does when trying to open up about something. "Is that really a question?" Felix asks seriously. "We've spent too much time in that place," Jeongin states in good spirits. "Will he sell it?" Minho asks eyeing the leader.

"Not quite," Chan lets out an airy chuckle. He silently claps his hands against each other. "He asked me to take over. He is leaving it to me." The words leave his mouth and suddenly he is too anxious to look anywhere but at the floor.

For a moment it was completely silent. "Wait a second," it was Jisung's voice, "so you'll be the owner? Like you would own that place?" Chan exhales sharply, "yeah." He nods. "Isn't that a good thing?" Felix's voice makes Chan look at the said boy. "It's a family business right? You are the perfect choice to keep it going like it always has, so isn't this great?" Felix continues before Chan gets to say anything. The freckled boy smiles which takes off some of Chan's concerns.