19

EENHA

My eyes shot open. The place I awoke was foreign. Oh right, we are at the cabin, I came to my senses. I rubbed my face slowly with my hands to fully wake up myself. Shit, I thought as I noticed I was still on the couch. I find my phone on the low table next to me and check the time. 7 am great...

I grabbed it and leaned back to lie on the couch. I scroll through my socials. It was very silent. Well, I doubt anyone else is awake so soon. But not just that, we were out of the city so the outside world was quiet as a mouse. Apart from the animals or the rustling wind or the run of the river on the other side of the road. But that wasn't the noise of cars and heels hitting the pavement or people rambling on on their phones. This was a pleasant noise.

It reminded me of my grandparents. They live on land far from Seoul. Whenever I woke up there I would wake up to this. That was where I lived when I moved to Korea at the age of seven. I looked out of the large windows of the living room. When I lived on the land I could hear similar sounds through the windows of my room and I would see something similar to what I am seeing now. Wow, I have already lived for six years in Seoul...

How were grandma and grandpa? They text me rarely and I barely have time to call them. They are handling the house and farm fine, right? They are getting old though, will they manage the winter? My head rested on the armrest. I held my phone in my hands but I wasn't staring at the screen that had already turned dark as I kept worrying.

Sometimes I felt bad leaving them alone on the land. Then again they would have been full of regret if they had not pushed me to do what I desired. And my mom would have probably been angry if I hadn't gone to study. Not because she wanted me to go to school but because she knew I liked studying to some extent.

I sigh and get up from the couch. I wrapped myself in the blanket and shuffled my way to the kitchen. I made sure to be extra quiet and careful not to wake anyone up. I opened the fridge. It wasn't that full of food. Some leftovers from yesterday, some drinks, milk, and a bag of tangerines. I took out a tangerine and the milk.

Then I cautiously searched through one of the shopping bags from yesterday. My lips curved into a smile as I saw a packet of Choco-Ring cereal. I happily made myself a bowl of cereal and sat on the kitchen counter. I cursed myself for forgetting to fetch my earphones before everyone went to bed.

It was so empty like this. I just stared into the abyss and ate overly sweet chocolate cereals. Then I heard footsteps coming. I stared expectantly at the door frame when Mirae walked past it. She had her headphones on and sporty wear but she noticed me. "Going for a run?" I asked as I kept scooping my cereals. She nodded, "you slept on the couch?" I shrugged, "I just fell asleep there." She nods again. "Anyone else awake?" I ask before she gets to continue her way. "Not that I know of." I take a deep breath, "mm..."

"Eat something else too cereals aren't good for you~," she lectures me. I roll my eyes and fill my mouth with cereal not caring to respond. She chuckles and passes. I then stare at my almost empty bowl as I hear the door open and close.

I look at the almost full packet on the opposite counter. Why dear lord did I leave my cereal there... Because hopping off this counter taking one step closer to grab the package and then hopping back on was too exhausting. I created a plan in my head.

I set down my now empty bowl and uncovered myself from the blanket partially. If I stretch forward I can easily take support from the opposite counter and use my other hand to grab the packet. Easy! I act on my thoughts and lean to have my hands on the other surface in front while still sitting on top of the other.