12

CHAN

Chan was drawing on his tablet in the living room of the dorm apartment that was actually Jisung, Changbin, and Hyunjin's. It was so weird to him to have so much free time on his hands. Usually, the boys were booked and he would have his hands full with handling the coffee shop with his Uncle and all. But now he had time to focus on his other hobbies as well. It was new and relaxing yet boring and odd at the same time.

(Actually, I will let you in on a little secret. What Chan told Mirae about taking more shifts was a lie. The real reason behind that was the condition of his Uncle which was getting worse and weaker at that time. The real reason he was patching in now and closing the shop more often was that his Uncle would leave the cafe to him.)

Chan's dad never understood why the coffee shop was worth keeping. It did not do that badly but the income was not that magnificent. But it was not about the money. His Uncle had made sure to let Chan know all about that. He did not even have to push him too hard since Chan realized it for himself too.

As a matter of fact, the boys used to spend a lot of time there when they were a little younger. They had this special slot in the shop. The corner table behind one of the decorative walls that divided the cafe. At that table, they used to come up with dance routines and cram for exams together.

Chan knew that they were not the only ones with fond memories like that about the coffee shop. So he understood how much more the place meant, it was more than just a workplace. When his Uncle first got hospitalized he told Chan it would all be his the day he himself would pass away. Chan promised his Uncle to take great care of it and his Uncle knew he would.

Chan's Uncle was stable now. He lived with his wife but he could not exhaust himself too much which meant Chan took all the work on his shoulders. His mom was encouraging but his father paid no mind to what his son was doing. It was his way of trying to be neutral since he did not like the idea.

Chan felt bad for lying to Mirae that workers had quit and that is why he was at work more often. He didn't want to make too big of a fuss about it. He still didn't really want to talk about how his Uncle could be gone any day now... Or that he would be the new owner of the shop. Not even the boys knew about the latter.

Why? Well, Chan was the leader of their dance crew, the voice of the group with the company. That title held responsibility and somehow he felt less of a leader if he would also commit to keeping the cafe running. He didn't want to lose it but he didn't want to give any less for the guys either. So his hesitations made him silent. It was better not to tell anyone just yet. When he would have enough answers he would converse about it properly.

Chan sighed as he finished up the drawing on his tablet. It was just something random that came to his head after watching a new episode of the anime Chainsaw Man. He occupied the couch waiting for the rest to finish up their after-school schedules. Then he heard the door opening.

He heard Jisung and Changbin but not Hyunjin. He got up from the couch and saw the two mentioned first. "Hey Hyung no work today?" Jisung asked as he noticed the presence of the older. Chan shook his head. "Um, actually have you seen my headphones anywhere?" The oldest asked. "Have not, you lost them?" Changbin kicked off his shoes. The curly-haired boy rubbed his nape, "I'm afraid I might've left them at the school because I can't find them anywhere..." He groaned and crashed back to sit on the couch.

Jisung joined him quickly, "you lost your headphones? But you protect them with your life. And it's already been two days, you only noticed now?" The squirrel questions the other. Chan chuckled nervously, "it has been two days already?" "Mhmm," Changbin joins the pair in the living room. "Where's Hyunjin maybe he has seen them?" "He stayed in the lower dorm I can text and ask if anyone has seen them," Changbin offered and grabbed his phone out.