31

Now playin'
Christmas Tree by V

(So, after the ball began winter break. Can you imagine an extended week off from school? Hurray... Anyhow, with nothing much to be done with the postponement and all, Christmas came rather fast. And oh, oh, you would never believe what happened on Christmas Eve.)

EENHA

*RING RING*

Himi sprinted to the door. "Merry Christmas!" Chan's voice reaches my ears as the door opens. "Merry Christmas!" Himi answers back. "Welcome," I came to welcome them in. It was a blessing our school didn't kick us out of our dorms for the holidays. For two consecutive years, we spent Christmas here at our dorm with Himi.

I used to travel to my grandparents but when Himi moved in we realized it was not that easy for her to go and visit her family. My grandparents weren't that demanding to need me at home for the holidays like Tengo's family. They were crazy about family holidays. So it was easier for everyone if I stayed with her.

But now that we knew the Aussies usually crashed other members' homes or just stayed at Chan's place, we could not miss the opportunity to spend our Christmas together. It was definitely a new kind of situation but Himi seemed overjoyed about the fact it wouldn't be just us two for the third time around. "You think we should head to the store right away?" I hum at Chan's suggestion. "Sure, just put your bags on the couch and we'll dress up," I smile at the pair and catch Himi by her shoulder.

---

Chan drove us a little further than our closest convenience store. It was still pretty early since stores closed early because of Christmas Eve. There was oddly enough a fair amount of people shopping for forgotten things. Well, Christmas isn't the same everywhere, is it? In Korea, it's more of a couples thing which from my Western perspective is a bit odd. But people still traveled home a lot so I guess it has that same spirit.

When I first told Chan we usually celebrated on the eve he was shocked. So as a compromise, we decided to eat together, go see the pretty lights set in town, and bake for today. So tomorrow we could have another feast and do more traditional Christmas things. People here usually celebrate on Christmas day.

"Christmas in Australia must've been different," I push our grocery cart forward. Himi and Felix had run off to get sweets and baking ingredients while Chan and I focused on the dinner. "Yeah well, it was like a celebration for the beginning of our summer break." He laughs. "That seems insane," I chuckle. "Any traditions?" He places a pack of noodles in the cart. "A few," he says first before explaining to me.

We kept walking while he talked. Apparently, each city had its own Christmas events that people gathered to see. Chan told me they usually had his dad's lamb skewers to eat for Christmas day and that they did Secret Santa inside the family every year. "How about you? I know so little about your country in general, what traditions did you have?" I smile a faint longing smile. "The bits I remember well include..." I started telling him. "Visiting the cemetery, watching child cartoons and films, eating of course, and a lot of board games."

"Right you moved here so young," he sounds apologetic after hearing my few childhood memories. "My grandparents kept some of the traditions though with a twist due to resources but still." I smiled to assure him it was fine.

That is when the two younger ones come back. They unload their desired stuff while Chan and I blink our eyes at the number of things. "Since when did I become a billionaire?" I look at Himi. "But Unnie~," she pouts cutely. Trying to get me to look over it. "How is four supposed to eat all this in two days?" Chan agrees with me. "It'll probably be fine when everyone gets back then there will be twelve to eat the leftovers," Felix argues. I shake my head while Chan starts laughing, "sure whatever it's Christmas." "Chan?!" I look at the oldest. "Unnie calm down Chan said it's fine so it's fine!" Himi had jumped behind me. I sigh. "Let's just go to the checkout it's fine," Chan laid his hand on my shoulder. "Fine."