Chapter 59 - A place where everything is changing

Start from the beginning

As for Y/N, she talked a lot about Marley, about her work, about experience, but not about personal, although she was often asked about it. She didn't deny that she was alone, nor did she deny that she might want to be with someone, but... not in the same way as Hitch. She didn't want to waste time on something that wouldn't work. Her time was already very valuable. And... she was pleased with the fact that Sasha and Historia supported her in this. But not Hitch, who called her to «get acquainted» with her in the evenings. A couple of times Y/N even went with her, and after drinking a couple of glasses «for free», she went home. Alone. All these «mannered» men, who sometimes behaved too unnaturally, strained her. She didn't see anything real in them, and she didn't want to deal with it.

Y/N spoke about her «personal problems» with only two people - Levi, who witnessed her «problems», and Damian, who knew about her «broken heart». However, after a while, she stopped speaking to them as well. She admitted that she felt better. She still occasionally thought of Armin. For example, when she began renovations in the library, she sorted through the books. And she found a book about the «outside» world. That day she didn't go anywhere, sitting in her room, leafing through this book and crying. She remembered how they dreamed together of a better life, of the world... How he embrace her that day... Y/N struggled with thoughts of how much she wished she could return to the life she had lost. She knew it was wrong. Levi had always told her that living in the past was a bad thing and that she had to let it all go or she would just torture herself and not live. He has always been right. Talking to him helped her cope with her pain, and she felt better, but... she still couldn't let go of Armin.

She sat alone, looking out the train window at the passing cities, forests... Levi and Damian were sitting across the aisle, discussing work in the royal council. They have developed a mutual respect for each other in recent months. Damian used to be terrified of Levi, seeing him as basically a creepy person who could kill anyone if he had to. But, after talking with him, he understood why Y/N valued his company - he saw in him more than just a soldier. He was an experienced man with his own history, with his own experience. He understood why the scouts used to respect him so much, no matter how tough, strict and repulsive he was. He was a responsible and obligatory person, who knew how to discard the personal when it was needed. His experience really helped their work in the royal council, especially in the part of the Underground City project.

Levi used to think of Damian as a kid who didn't take anything seriously, who liked to hang around Y/N. But he saw more in him - he was educated, and took his work seriously, although sometimes his frivolous and playful side was shown. However, he performed his duties to the fullest.

And both of them took care of Y/N, each in their own way.

Damian and Y/N saw each other often, spending several nights a week together in city, sometimes with colleagues Damian and Hitch, and sometimes just the two of them. They were comfortable with each other, but... it was nothing more than friendship. Damian began to calmly tell Y/N about his encounters with the «ladies», which amused Y/N. She loved listening to his stories. They were best friends, although it was strange... Many people said that the friendship between a boy and a girl can't be real, and that Y/N and Damian were only fooling themselves by not dating, but... It really wasn't something more, than just a close friendship. They knew each other from a young age, and Y/N saw in him a part of the life that she had lost so long ago, and she was glad that she had him, he reminded her of that Y/N that hadn't been for a long time . That Y/N who could fall in love with Damian, who wanted to follow in her father's footsteps. They were each other's best friends, but they were too different to be together, now they both knew it.

After quit her job, Y/N spent several hours with Levi every day. Mostly at this time they were engaged in physiotherapy with tea breaks. A month since he first got back on his feet, he was making great strides - standing no longer hurt, and he could slowly take a few steps himself, with the help of a cane. However, later on his legs still let him down. Therefore, the wheelchair was still with him. Y/N was pleased with the result, she was fully aware that only closer to winter would he be able to completely say goodbye to the wheelchair. Ever since he first got on his feet, he has moved out of the palace, finding it redundant. Y/N understood his desire - he wanted to regain his independence from other people as soon as possible. Historia helped him find an apartment near the palace so he could come to work. She also provided him with several guards to help him get to and from work. This annoyed him greatly, but for the time being Y/N drove him to work, because so far she didn't have a job. But then - it will be done by Historia's people, which didn't please him. In the company of Y/N, he wasn't annoyed by the fact that she helped him, he was pleased with her care and her company.