Nickel x Balloon - i've become a ghost in your garden/fading into view

A/N

i am going WILD
you are not ready for this
this is inspired by a really nice hfjone liam playlist
here's the link:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Jty2jDp3mbMuqjNLC2RjN?si=338f132d664c434a
it's really good :>
right, let's get into it!

!!WARNING!!

This oneshot contains:

Death (i'm not even gonna sugar coat it)

Murder (not described)

A nice healthy dose of angst

Mentions of the F-slur (though it is never explicitly said)

Alcohol Abuse

Implied hanky panky (not described, only mentioned, i am a minor)

3rd POV

"Things like this are hard, Nickel. Trust me, I'd kno-"

"You didn't know anything about him! You don't even know anything about me."

"That's the point of this appointment. I want to get to know you so I can help you move on from this. It will be difficult, but I want to help you, Nickel. You just have to let me."

The boy sunk into his chair, like how he sunk into the suffocating sea of his thoughts. Nickel clenched the fabric of 'his' hoodie. His therapist raised an eyebrow at the behaviour. After a few beats of silence, the boy groaned loudly.

"Fiiiine, what do you want to know?"

Ms. 5C smiled, tapping the edge of her clipboard with her pen.

"What was your relationship with Balloon like?"

Nickel visibly flinched at the name, curling into himself more.

"You don't have to talk about it yet if you wouldn't like to."

"C-Can we save it for later?"

Ms. 5C nodded, going back to tapping her clipboard almost hypnotically.

"Of course. Would you like to tell me how you two met?"

Nickel chuckled breathily, allowing his posture to relax as he leaned back in the armchair he was seated in.

"Well, it was a while ago, but I'll try my best. We met in primary school..."

"Ugh, we lost the ball again! Go get it Balloon!"

The child sighed at the mention of his name. The older kids laughed at him as he began walking to where the ball had rolled to. He only ever sat with them because his older brother was friends with them, and Balloon never talked to anyone else.

He walked past a bush and spotted the ball near the playground. After trudging over, he picked up the rubber ball.

"No, Baseball! You have to stand over there!"

"Oh, sorry!"

A red-haired boy scurried over to the swings and positioned himself behind one.

"Now Suitcase, you can hop on the swing, and Baseball will push you!"

"Yay!"

A shorter girl sprinted over to the swings, struggling to lift herself on. The boy helped her up, both of them exhaling when they'd completed the task.

"Oi you!"

Balloon flinched, now noticing the stranger that was walking up to him. He was shorter than him, with grey hair that was big and messy. The person's brown eyes were sharp, like a shattered chocolate bar.