Cherries - some days life's gonna wear you down, gonna wear you down

A/N

okay so i know that the backstory chapters have a loooong history of being edgy

but i wanted to make this one at least a lil bit happy, because i like happy

also neurodivergent cherries because why not
and they're objects in this (woah)
also, most of this stuff is just descriptions of things i personally experience so it might not apply to everyone
enjoy :>

!!WARNING!!

This oneshot contains:

A teeny tiny bit of angst

Mentions of family issues

Implied child neglect/abuse (not physical cuz that would make me really sad)

Depictions of Panic Attacks/Mental Breakdowns

Implied Childhood Trauma

A bit or derealisation

3rd POV

Hotel OJ was an enigma.

The people here were... strange to say the least.

People spared them a glance, waved them hello – sometimes they'd even talk to the Cherries. Pickle was an easy example. The twins had stumbled upon the gamer doing what he does best; gaming. Intrigued, they inched closer while trying to stay out of his line of sight. Supposedly, Pickle had caught sight of them but realised what they were doing, so he didn't acknowledge the pranksters. Eventually, the Cherries hesitantly settled on the end of the couch, quietly watching Pickle play. They must've zoned out at some point because when they snapped back to reality, the gamer was offering them a controller as an invitation to join him.

Pickle rarely did such things for others. He was closely acquainted with few, and barely ever shared the things that he considered important with those people. The Cherries had assumed that it was due to the 'betrayal' he had experienced at the end of Season 1. They were still unsure about it however, as everyone refused to speak about it. So, just as they were taught, they kept quiet, listening in whenever they could.

"Ever played this game?"

The twins were perplexed by the gamer's attempt to spark a conversation. Based on what they'd seen, Pickle only ever talked to contestants from Season 1 – and occasionally to Microphone as well.

"Uh, no. We never really played games when we were younger."

The left cherry nodded along with his brother's words. Pickle frowned a little.

"That's not... Anyway." He turned back to the TV screen. "Do you want me to show you the basics?"

Both Cherries nodded simultaneously. Pickle chuckled as he scooted closer to the children.

"So this one here – that's the left joystick, okay? And this one is the right one. The difference..."

'Something doesn't seem right.'

The Cherries watched as Paper solemnly eyed a patch of dirt in the garden. Curiously, they walked up to the gardener.

"Uh, hi!"

Paper flinched harshly at the unknown voice but relaxed when he realised it was just the Cherries. He had never properly talked to them, so the gardener was confused as to why they had approached him randomly.

"Oh, hey there. D-Did you guys need anything?"

The left cherry put a finger to his chin in thought, while the right cherry shrugged.