Arisu's Unexpected Soft Spot

Start from the beginning

I was just too tired to handle a problem as big as this. Arisu has implemented such an annoying strategy that I could get through, but don't want to. Having to deal with it is so much of a hassle that I'd rather let everyone else handle it. My cowardice will lead to my demise one day, but I'd rather not have too many regrets. 

I sat down on a bench and sighed, looking upward. With all these problems placed before us, it's really hard to get a moment of rest, even if the responsibility isn't on me. 

"Well look at you being all sulky again." 

I turned to look at the person who made a comment.

"Kukuku. Last I checked, you were a happy camper with a girlfriend, and yet here you are." 

"Ryuuen, come to face me again, eh?"

He sat down on the edge of the bench, a book in one hand, and his school bag in the other. 

"So, I assume you're actin' emo because of these rumors, yeah?"

"Ha, acting emo my ass. But you are correct, Arisu has been very ruthless recently." 

"That's the way I like it. Opponents like her and the monster are who excite me the most. Would that mean you have a way out of this mess?" 

"No, or at least not yet. Actually I'm trying to stay out of all this."

"Kuku, so you know that you can't fight her the way you are right now?" Ryuuen asked. 

"I mean, I've known from the start that I can't compare myself to her, let alone fight her." 

I thought back to the chess matches we've played over the course of our stay here in this school. At this point, we've played over one hundred matches, and I didn't even win one. That alone, shows how different we are, and who would win in an actual battle of wits. Not every fight is through violence after all. 

"So then Ryuuen, what brings you here anyway? I fail to see how you suddenly got here by coincidence." 

"Ah, ever since I stepped down, I've just been avoiding the more public areas. I'm alone in my class now after all, but I decided to be alone." 

"But still, I find you appearing here quite suspicious." 

"And that's how I like you as an opponent. However, you shouldn't read into every little thing, or else you'd go bonkers in no time. But, this time your concerns are true." 

"What?" 

"I ran into Kikyou a few days ago, and had the guts to ask me for a favor. In a nutshell, she said that if I ever came across you, we should have a chat."

"A chat about what?"

"Whatever. I rather enjoy talking with you, because it isn't a useless back and forth like with the monster. Which is why I didn't mind taking up the favor. Uncharacteristic of me, yeah?" 

"Absolutely. Who knew you would change so much after one loss." 

"Kukuku. Not even me, that's for sure. Been hanging out with Hiyori at the library every once in a while, and she said that the Sakayanagi siblings and the monster haven't stopped by for around two weeks now." 

"Shiina huh...To be honest I kind of forgot to hang out with her because of all the problems currently present. If I do have time, I'll stop by soon enough." 

"You fucking better. Hiyori's been out of it lately, even got me of all people worried." 

I chuckled a bit. 

"You? Ryuuen Kakeru is genuinely worried about someone else? How surprising." 

He punched the air in between us, his fist inches from my face.