Volume 1: A Pawn's Pawn

Yasushi POV

Wednesday, 6:07pm

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, someone who I know is ten times better than me.

After hanging out with him these past couple of weeks I realized that both of us have no ambition here, but to lead a life of surviving these three years. He must also want to run away from his past. 

I've realized this since he asked the question "Who are you?", but when I asked it back he just shrugged it off and never pressed it again. It means we both have a past we want to run away from, and this school was the best option for both of us. Above all else, he knew better and was better. 

Noticing the cameras, realizing there were demerits, punishments, and that there was more to this school than meets the eye. Ayanokouji noticed them all, stayed hidden, and stayed silent, he wanted peace despite his abilities. I felt the same way. 

Right now, I was following Kushida as instructed. She was for some reason in the school, but it was 6pm. She was probably here to wait for a friend doing club activities, until she went up to the second floor. Wait, she just went up to the third, was she headed for the roof?

If she was going there to meet with someone it could be bad for me, I'd be cornered. Well, I'd take that risk anyway as I headed up the stairs as well. Treading carefully, I leaned onto the handrailing, peaking through the crack of the rooftop door. 

No one else was there, and Kushida set her bag down, then...

"Ah, so annoying!"

?!

"She's seriously annoying! God, how irritating. It'd be better if she just died..."

Was this really Kushida? I knew she was angry from the look in her eyes a few hours ago but this seemed a bit much. 

"Ugh, I hate stuck-up snobby girls who think they're so cute, Why is she such a harpy? A rotten girl like her couldn't possibly tutor me."

It's safe to assume she's talking about Horikita. But anyway wasn't she more or less the same thing?

"Ah, she's the worst! She's just the worst, the worst the worst! Horikita, you're so annoying! You're so damn annoying!"

This was definitely a side of her that no one has seen before. A darker side of her that bore hatred for Horikita, if not a lot of other people. I really wanted to leave now but I was currently recording this. But still, why would she agree with me to get Horikita on our side if she was so annoyed with her?

I couldn't understand why. If she hated her so much why would she approach her? Unless it's because of her "goal", which I think was bogus now. But there was another possibility. Would Kushida and Horikita have known each other before?

"And that guy Maida! Putting me through all that for what!? Absolutely nothing! He's just a pretty boy with no purpose in life but to annoy me too! Damn them!!"

Okay...so we provoked her a bit too much. Well, I don't care, it's time to catch her in the act.

Thump!

I kicked the door open and made myself visible, Kushida flinched at the sound. She slowly turned to face me, then asked.

"What...are you...doing here?"

"Is it not obvious? I'm here to catch some fresh air." Obvious lie.

Her gaze was intense, however since I probably had one with intensity, she also looked a bit scared.

"Did you hear?"

"Of course I did." No point lying about that particular topic.

"I see..."