Volume 2: Shizuku and Two Face

Yasushi POV

Wednesday, day before the trial. 

Kushida was in my room, tired of life. She was so tired that for the first time she's been ranting she decided to just slump onto my shoulder.

"Why can't they all just die..." She sighed.

"I feel you, I really do, but life is unfair that way you know?"

"Who said you could talk?"

"Me? Because this is my room?"

"Sigh...I'm too tired to make up a counter statement." 

She's been here for the past half hour or so, ranting about how her girl friends kept emphasizing how dumb Sudou is. Kushida accidentally admitted that Sudou was valuable in the process, her friends Ichihashi and Inogashira also agreed according to her. 

I pushed her away a little to make way for my arm so I could put it around her back.

"Don't you dare pet me."

"I'm not."

I put my right hand on her shoulder as she relaxed onto me. Kushida had it hard with this kind of thing, pretending to be something you're not, I'd never imagine myself like that.

"Listen Kushida, I can't really imagine myself in your situation, but what I can imagine is how hard it is. You're acting skills are impressive, and yet you don't like the way you do act around them."

"It's just...I wanna be loved you know? I'm addicted to the feeling of standing out and being at the top of the social chain."

"That makes us polar opposites. I don't like being noticed because I think it feels weird to be praised. Not even my family praised me."

My father taught me everything I needed to know, but he never really praised me. All I got were around a few thanks' in his entire lifetime, the last being on his death bed. The very thought of that scene pierces right through me.

"Hmph, then I guess you've never felt happiness before."

"I suppose not, but this is me. Every person is unique, remember that. That's why I want to see people's full self and personality before making a verdict. Like with you, not a single person would've guessed you're like this." 

I only judge half effortedly whenever I'm annoyed, which is a rare occasion in and of itself, since normally people just ignore a quiet human. However, students here are different, Sakayanagi is proof of that. 

"Sorry if I've talked your ear off."

"Ha, it's fine, I'm the same with others right? Talking their ears off that is."

"No, we aren't the same."

"Believe what you want, you can be extremely sociable when people get to know you." Is that not the case for everyone though?

She got up from my bed, for once, showing a genuine smile towards me.

"Well, I'm off, thanks for tonight Maida-kun."

"Oh, before you go, are you ready for the plan?"

"Don't worry about that. Ayanokouji-kun and I took care of Sakura-san's camera, she should have had a talk with him. I bet he went all sappy and got her feelings good."

So Ayanokouji got into this mess by accident. It works to my favor though, since I didn't know how exactly I should convince Sakura how to cooperate with us. 

"Just send the text to any of the three Class C students on Friday during lunch."

"Mn, will do."

_________________________________