Volume 7.5: A Chat in the Snowy Morning

I am feeling much better now and finally managed to finish this long chapter. It was honestly longer than I thought it'd be. Anyways here you go.

Yasushi POV

It was December 24th, also known as Christmas Eve.

Admittedly my scheduled meetup with Arisu was around before lunch, but here I am outside, in the very early morning. The reason for this was because Ayanokouji had called me over. He said it was for something about the rooftop, apparently our business wasn't done.

It wasn't even 7am yet, but I had to go here extra early because of how slow I walked. Not that I mind, it would be good for me to exercise in the morning.

Despite that, I feel quite terrible today. As if my body wasn't cold enough, the whole place was white with snow. I was currently wearing the exotic black coat that Arisu gave me on my birthday, as well as the beanie that Kikyou gave for the same occasion.

"What you need are memories, good ones."

It was a good time for me to put some thought onto what Arisu said yesterday.

She had revealed to me that my view of the world was too bad that I wouldn't be able to join the work force properly. In other words, I'm not fit to keep myself on my feet in the future.

I needed to trust people, like really trust them. Not something like my relationship with Ayanokouji or how I blackmail people into helping me with stuff.

"If Kushida-san is willing to be your light, I'll gladly support the both of you."

Kikyou...

It's true that I do have feelings for her, albeit not as much as she did for me. The deepest I can go is that I see her as a close friend, not a lover. But now that I've said yes, I'm willing to give us a try. Besides, it would also benefit Kikyou's hidden side, which may disappear altogether if this works.

Since Arisu is also being so insistent, which isn't how she usually acts, I can't just let her down. Besides, she's Arisu, who knows what she can do to me if I screw up here.

"The hell are you doing out here at such an early hour?"

My thoughts were halted as someone called out. I turned around to see the figure of Ryuuen Kakeru, his face still patched up from the events of the rooftop.

"Had something to do. You?"

"What a coincidence, I also had something to do. Or maybe it's fate. Did the monster call you over too?"

The monster? That's a new nickname. Nonetheless, he was probably talking about Ayanokouji.

"If you're referring to him, then yes. I suppose he called you out as well."

Then he said something that surprised even me.

"Wanna walk together there?"

I was so taken aback that my eyes widened quite a bit, which he noticed.

"Oh please, it's not that weird. Besides, the business between you and me is over and done with. Our score is settled, but my score with Ayanokouji isn't. You just so happened to be involved."

He had a point. My rivalry with Ryuuen is over, and I lost. I'm quite satisfied with how I held my ground though, despite all odds. Well, that and I expected that I'd lose anyway.

Ryuuen went a few meters ahead, but still matched my pace and was close enough for us to talk.

"Will you really take the loss like this, Ryuuen?"