Volume 1: Class D

Yasushi POV

It was Friday already, the week passed by with not many problems. My classmates continued to indulge themselves with the fantasy of receiving 100,000 every month. I've already solved that particular mystery so my point balance was still 88,943 where my earphones and books took up the bulk of what I spent. 

Being able to cook was extremely handy as well, seeing that I could just buy lunch at school then make my own breakfast and dinner. Not to mention the free items in the convenience store, I could efficiently spend my points. However, that's the problem here.

How many points do we get next month? I have a brain and I know how to use it, but if they just try, I feel like my classmates could do better than me, Hirata for example. According to Chabashira-sensei, we only got 100,000 points because we managed to get in, which was an 'incredible feat'.

Now hold on just a damn second.

If I use some variables and some basic math, let's say our private points are converted by a 1:100 scale, whereas one point is equal to a hundred. The senpais all throughout the week kept emphasizing the words 'hell' 'defective' and 'brainless' whenever I run into my red haired classmate whom I learned his name was Sudou Ken. 

That would mean something terrible will happen to us in the near future, as the senpais wouldn't really stop their provocations. Then I add in what Horikita-senpai told me privately as well as said publicly during the club fair. He was 'impressed' by my assumptions of this school being merit based, when merit itself deteriorates in quality if it loses it's purpose.

"Let's say you invested in a product created by a poor company. You bought that product for yourself and both you and that company agreed that you now have the rights to lay claim on saying 'I made this product'. A few months pass by and that product starts losing it's value, or should I say it's merit. You haven't made back the price you bought that product for and decide to sell it off back to that same company. The company refuses saying they've heard the product isn't that valuable anymore. This is where 'demerits' come into play." I thought aloud, muttering under my breath

Demerits counter what merits are, basically pros and cons. I believe this is what the school is implying, the 100,000 points was the worth of our merits when we got into the school. Our behavior in anything we do are the demerits, thus reducing our allowance, like in a normal job. 

Through a variety of calculations and implications of merits, I think there is another quantity completely separated from private points. Something along the lines of points as a group, as a class. Because classes are sorted from A-D, I am in the worst class, which I can understand since I know more about myself than anyone else and why I deserve to be here. Even so, since everyone got 100,000 points, I believe we also started evenly. 

Anyway, after my long thought process, I looked up from my desk and saw on my phone that it was 6pm. I got up to leave for the dormitory so I can think things over throughout the weekend. The weekend would also be a good chance to look through the other classes' affairs. 

The hallway was fairly empty, I guess almost everyone was either at Keyaki Mall, at their clubs or the dorms. Using this opportunity, instead of going to the dorms immediately, I went to the empty classroom on the next floor. The school staff don't close the classrooms till 8pm anyway.

I found the empty classroom, with no plate saying '1-D' or anything, it was just blank. Opening the door I went straight to the window. Looking out, a beautiful sunset could be seen with the stage of the school campus as scenery. If only I could have at least one year, where I don't have to worry about anything but my daily necessities, but alas, life is unfair like that.