Volume 5: Warmups and Strategies

Yasushi POV

After the announcement about the sports festival on that day, the class had begun seriously planning for it, if not the whole ANHS student body. 

It was currently one of the free periods of the new schedule, and Hirata, along with Kikyou and Horikita stood in front of the class by the podium. Chabashira-sensei moved to the back, intending to listen. 

"Before we start participating, we'll have to decide on the order of which we'll participate in, as well as measure everyone's physical abilities."

I raised my hand a little, gesturing that I had a question.

"What is it Sakayanagi-kun?" 

"How exactly are you going to decide the participation table?" I asked.

"Ah, this is how we'll be going about doing things. Horikita-san, if you please?"

Horikita silently grabbed the chalk and wrote down some words on the board.

"There will be two methods for us to use for both of the participant events. First is the Raising Hands method, where you can volunteer yourself for the All Participants category. Next is the Ability method, where we assign those with promising physical abilities in events so that we can maximize efficiency." She explained.

"For context, the Ability method would cover both the All and Recommended Participant events." Kikyou said.

It looks like she's able to stave her bloodlust against Horikita for now. Good.

"Both methods have their pros and cons. For the cons, the Raising Hands method would contradict with everyone's decisions while the Ability method would deplete the stamina of our power players. For the pros, everyone can pick whatever they want and try to gain points for themselves, while the latter method would let us maximize our physically gifted students like Sudou-kun."

Everyone seemed to agree with what Kikyou was saying. In my opinion there is one other problem, but I'm not gonna say it since Ayanokouji told me to keep quiet about what I think. Besides, I hate sports festivals. Being allowed to not participate was a dream come true.  

"We should obviously decide based on ability, shouldn't we? I mean, the person that knows themselves best is themselves right? If I win, then its more likely that the class would win." Sudou said outright.

I looked at Ayanokouji for confirmation to intervene. He nodded.

"Well, it makes me kinda mad, but I suppose you're right." A girl muttered.

"He's both right and wrong." I said, standing up then heading towards the podium. 

"I understand you want to win Sudou-kun, but stamina is not infinite. I agree with your first statement, but I disagree with the second." I explained my point of view while looking at him.

"As much as I'd like for you to handle all the recommended events, we can't do that. If you lose your cool because of opponents like Ryuuen, or run out of stamina for some reason, we'd be in quite the problem. So I have another idea instead."

Sudou listened intently as I explained why him going full monkey for the events was a horrible idea. 

"Onodera-san, why don't you and Sudou-kun team up and measure everyone's abilities?" I suggested.

"Eh? Why me?"She asked.

"Aside Horikita-san here and probably one or two other girls, you have the best physical abilities among the girls of this class. Also, according to our sensei in swimming class, you had the best time. I'm confident that you'd be able to help a great deal in this Sports Festival."