SS Sakayanagi Arisu: Childhood Friends

"Put some more of your weight on the cane Maida-kun."

"Yeah yeah I know, I just don't trust this yet."

I, Sakayanagi Arisu, am currently teaching Maida Yasushi-kun the ways of living like a crippled person. It's honestly nostalgic to watch him like this. It was like with me when I was three years old, learning how to balance with my cane.

Still, the situation is truly unfortunate. The exam that the student council proposed and the school approved as the fuse of his injury, one that was life threatening. I of course do not have the details just yet, but I believe it to be an accident. After all, this entire time my father and I knew of the Maida family's hereditary illness. 

The second I saw him on the bus, his ambition wasn't visible in his eyes. It was at that I assumed his only family, his father, had died in the past. However, he truly has grown to be much like another childhood friend I held dear.

"You alright kid?" One of the health officers asked Maida-kun.

"Yeah, just lost balance again." He replied.

"Fufufu, I kept saying you should put more weight on the cane Maida-kun." I said smugly.

"I just started this yesterday, give me a break."

At the moment, it was three days after Maida-kun returned to school grounds, he was able to arrive overnight and receive treatment for his leg quickly afterwards. Coincidentally, the doctors came in touch with me since currently, I was the only person in the school who used a cane, they wanted my help with his rehabilitation.

Aside me, Maida-kun was also assigned two health officers to keep him in check and make sure he doesn't over exert his energy.

"Hey kid, that's enough. Take a good rest, it's lunch break anyway."

"Alright then."

Maida-kun sat down on the bench and set his new cane on the ground, hand picked by yours truly. I slowly made my way to him and sat down as well.

"So, how're you experiencing you first day as a crippled person?" I asked.

"It's not surprising that it'd be pretty hard. The good thing is I can still move my left leg somewhat, so the cane's support is handy."

"Mn, I recommend you start trusting you're cane more Maida-kun. It'll be your new best friend from now on after all."

"Yeah, I can't deny that."

It's that feeling against. Hmm, I see...

"Do you not have any ambition to impove your physical health?"

"Again with the ambition thing? I thought we stopped that."

I suppose you still wouldn't understand. After all, you've been somewhat dependent on a certain individual that I would like to meet in the near future.

"I had Hashimoto-kun keep an eye on you since our meeting in that empty classroom, you obviously know that fact. I know because you've been baiting him."

"Actually, I'd like to thank you for that, it gave me something to do in this boring world."

"The world is boring to you because you have no real ambition to rise up the ranks."

"That makes us opposites doesn't it Sakayanagi? The world is boring to you because you've surpassed enjoyment of mundane life."

"Fufu, touche."

"Now I know that you knew about my family's existence let me ask you this. What exactly led you to think that I'd be a good plaything?"

"Ah that, I only threw in that comment because of my disappointment."