CHAPTER 27

The metallic door pushes open as the crowds’s head snaps our direction. We seem to interrupt something. They have drinks and foods on the table and seems having a celebration. Still, we continue entering the hall.

Footsteps echo as we walk in along the blue carpeted floor. Floods of strangers’ stares focuses on us in a suspicion. It follows by inaudible murmuring.

It buzzes like a bee.

It vibrates our ears.

It pounds my heart out of its ribcage.

I brush my palms on my dress to wipe the sweating.

I hoping for dad to fart to enlighten the tension, but miracles don’t happen.

The more we take a step towards the couple sitting on their throne while an abundant table is in front of them.

An air blows the Alpha’s moustache and hair. He has a dark aura that chills down my spine. The more we step closer to them, the more his brows bump together into a frown.

Turning my eyes towards the lady beside him, her dark braided hair hangs on her shoulder. She looks lovely despite of her age. And still looks lovely even if she’s narrowing her eyes on us in a pure frown and puzzlement. But then, she suddenly freezes up her stare at dad. Her eyes slowly widen in recognition.

“H-Hayden,” she utters as she slowly lifts herself from her seat. Her lips are trembling. A couple of tears rolls down her cheeks. She turns her gaze towards me and she slaps her hand to her mouth while bursting into tears.

“Alpha and Luna, it’s our honor to return to the majestic pack of yours,” dad acknowledge as he we stop a few feet away from them and places his right fist to his chest in execution of a bow.

The Luna, my emotional mother, didn’t waste another time. She held up her thick dress and rushes towards us, bumps me and crashes me into a tight hug once he reaches me.

“My daughter! My only daughter!” she cries. “You came back! Finally!”

I am surprised with her sudden sobs on my shoulder. I gaze at dad with wide eyes, and he nods at me in encouragement.

Okay. My heart is sting hammering right now. I’m too nervous and don’t know how to react. But still, I wrap my arms around her, returning a few tightness to her.

She cups my cheeks once she recollects herself. A few tears still rolling down her cheeks as she smiles at me. A pair of gray eyes stares at me like I’m the most wonderful creature she saw in her entire life.

She laughs, still staring at me in awe. “You and your father shared the same eyes. You grew up so magnificent.”

I blink and smiles awkwardly. “Same as you. You look young, and gorgeous.”

She giggles and brushes her tears from her cheeks. “Hayden raised you bluffer.”

I snort and glace at dad. “Well, dad actually raised me as the brutally honest lady.”

“Oh, sweetie. Can you call me Mother?”

I smile. “Sure, mother, it is.”

Another set of tears rolls down her cheeks. “Good gracious,” she sniffles and hugs me. “It feels like a dream.”

“You’re not dreaming.” I hug her back.

“But it feels like it. I didn't have a chance to touch you after you came out.” Her shoulder shakes as she begins to sob. “I can’t believe I can finally touch you like this.”

My glance at dad and my eyes begin to burn. “I’ll . . . I’ll stay here. I won’t go anywhere,” I croak.

“What a surprise,” someone utters dryly as our head snaps back to the Alpha. Shrugging his cape, he stands up, and I realize how lean he is. “It’s been a while, wimp. Welcome back to Strangestone.”

“It’s good to back, Alpha.” Dad bows once again.

“You still dare to face me after running away instead of defending our pack,“ he growls while taking a few steps down the stairs. “The audacity.”

“Parallax!” mother scold but he just past her, didn’t throw even a single glance.

“You even dared to take my daughter with you.”

“Good gracious, Parallax! Not now, please. Not in front of them!” She pushes my father to his chest. Mother’s voice is shaky, expressing frustration and pleading. “. . . please,” she repeats.

“Silence, Thairel! He took our daughter away from us!”

“But he saved our daughter that night! I know he wants to take our daughter back to us, but someone almost killed me!”

“I can see no such difference between taking our daughter from our enemy and taking her with him in his runaway!”

“I-I am willing to face the consequences of such action, Alpha,” dad interjects.

My eyes grow wide and stare at him in terror.

“No way!” I burst out and place myself between them, bracing my dad. “Look, he came here to take me back to you. He took me here because I ask for it, because he can’t resist me. Dad didn’t do anything wrong.”

Alpha stare at me intently.

“She’s right,” mother agrees. “Please. Don’t give in to your anger.”

There was nothing but silence. Alpha’s glares bores at me, and I glare back at him. We seem like in a staring competition and no one wants to lose the game.

His long wavy hair, thick moustache, and deep blue eyes look freaking scary. A part of me wants to avoid his gaze and hide behind daddy. But there’s a huge part of me to glare back and go against at him because I can’t risk daddy suffering. He wants to face any consequences where, in fact, he’s trying to save me that night when no one’s there to do it for me. It is so unfair because he’s my hero. My real father looks at that in a wrong way.

Honestly, I shiver at the thought of him as my real father. He’s a grumpy, frowning monster waving an invisible red flag using a freshly sharpened knife as its pole.

“Princess. . .” dad whispers.

“No, dad. I’m the one who will fight him if he hurts you,” I fire without cutting my eye contacts of my own father.

The corner of Alpha’s mouth twitch into a quick smirk. “You raised up excellently ferocious, kid. I am looking forward to seeing you in a gladiatorial fight.” He then spins to the side and walks to face the people. “Everyone, enjoy the food. I will just speak privately with my . . .” He glance at me. “. . . family.”

•••

A/N: [/*tossed the phone somewhere and slammed myself on the bed.] this chapter fvcking took me 5 rewrites before I get myself satisfied.