CHAPTER 9

Preparing a party is fun and both stressful, especially when your associates think you need a bloody psychiatrist check up.

We just reached home with dozens of men carrying supplies we bought downtown. I instructed them to place those to the respected location in the kitchen and I proceed to the hall.

The rest of the maids and men were busy rearranging the seats on the side, the liquor rack on the counter, and the set of a large speaker on each side of the space that must be a dance floor. I look at the ceiling and smiled as the chandelier hanged earlier replaced an enormous neon light with hanging sequins and disco balls.

My eyes roamed around and found they were almost done. “Perfect! But wait. Can someone place that giant chair on the side?” I pointed to the red and golden chair in the center of the stage.

The men froze and exchanged glances.

“What is going on here?” a baritone voice spoke from a few distances behind me. Kruel and he shared the same coldness but brought a different impact on me. The coldness of his voice got me want to hide somewhere safe out of panic, while Kruel’s got my heart leap with a mixture of excitement and pleasure.

Dropping my hands to my side, I turned to face his grumpy face with a wrinkled forehead.

“Uh. H-Hi there! Freezy weather isn’t it?” Letting out an awkward smile.

“What is this mess?”

He calls it a mess. I wonder what he can call what will happen tonight. Switching his gaze from me, he turned his gaze towards Gin, who appeared a few feet beside me.

I turned my eyes on him and we traded a look. I widened my eyes, giving him a ‘say something’ look. I can sense he’s nervous as me. He shrugged his head in response.

Oh, man. Think and say something before my mouth will do moves without checking it to my brain.

“Uh. B-Beta, don’t you know that Gin is in love with one of your daughter so much?” I started with a convincing eyes. He raised an eyebrow toward Gin. “H-He asked for help to prepare a party. Yes, right! He wants to ask Orange this evening for her hands, to have and to hold from this night forward, for the better and for worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and health, to love and to cherish till death do them part.” I can’t believe I just recited a vow for them just to slip my ass away.

I turned my eyes to Gin and saw how his jaw dropped open. He began to protest. “What the heck are you talk--aghk!” I stepped his foot and smiled at the Beta sweetly. “Fvcking--ow shit!” I pressed my heel against his toe harder and squeeze.

“Our Gin is shy! He’s not yet ready to tell you how he been dying to tell her how much he loved her. He’d been dying to touch her cheek, to kiss her forehead, and to smell your daughter’s armpit again.” Armpit? Oh god. I really need to shut up now before it all gets worse. “H-How sweet isn’t it? I know Orange was also in love with this guy. Why not make both of them the happiest couple alive, right?”

I put a pressure on Gin’s toe once again. I fake smile curved wider of relief as he nodded in agreement. “Armf--yes!”

What a fast learner. He got my message very quickly.

“Is that so?” With darkened eyes, he asked the man who just took a huge gulp.

“Yes, that’s it!” I’m the one who replied with my enthusiasm. “What do you think, Beta? Isn’t Gin romantic and good enough for your daughter? Breath if you agree.”

He was glaring a glance after my last statement. My cheeks are almost tired of holding this fake smile, but I still smiled at him.

“Who am I to hold?” He roamed his gaze around before dropping his eyes to his future cheerful son-in-law. “As long as you won’t hurt, now take my daughter far away from me. You have my blessing.”

Gin froze, taken aback by the beta’s remark. Glint of joy sparks in his eyes. He smiled with a mixture of relief and shock with scratching his nape.

The beta left afterwards, but the lover boy’s smiled was still there.

Overjoyed, he raised his fist in victory. “Yes!”

“Yes, my ass. You seemed forgotten we lied at him about this.” Still facing the direction where the beta exited. I bit my lower lip. “What are we going to do if he will tell Orange about that false plan? Crap. I never noticed I was solving a problem into a bigger problem.”

Without looking at him, I can still see how his fist dropped on my peripheral vision. “Fvck. You’re right. What would we do now?”

“But I have a plan,” I murmured.

“Is that a good plan?”

I went silent for a moment. Do he really think I always had a bad plan, or I’m only the one who is thinking my plan is good?

I heaved a breath. “I have a plan.”

“What’s the plan?”

“My plan is to follow your plan.” I nodded and turned to him.

His face crumpled. “No, I don’t have one."

I sigh, twirling some strands of my hair with my finger. Trying to think. “Right. We don’t have Plan B. Our plan is to stick with the real plan, to go with the flow. Whatever happens to us, we deserve it.”

If either Orange or Nicholas, the beta, will eat me alive without seeing Kruel for the last time, I deserve it. I just want to have my Kruel back. Damn that stupid acquaintance. If he hadn’t just fooled around and died, Kruel wouldn’t have left to attend his memorial.

“Okay. I will trust that, and. . .” he trailed off. “. . .you can now take that heel off my shoe, by the way, rich girl,” he hissed.

“Oh, sorry.”