recovery

Sara has always had a problem with drinking, she had since recovered after meeting daddy. He helped her understand she didn't need the bottle of booze to cope when things were hard.

What he didn't know was she also dealt with not eating. She goes days without remembering to eat. Mostly survives off coffee and water. She was pretty good at covering her tracks, making sure people didn't question. At work she always took lunch in her office. At home when daddy wasn't around she just didn't eat. When he was around she ate light. Being careful to never eat too much but to eat enough that he didn't question.

He came home with her favorite meal from the Italian place down the block. It was late and he was starving.

He set their meals out on the coffee table and started to eat. Sara just stared at her plate. She sat back on the couch without touching her food. She brought her knees to her chest. "I can't" she whispered.

"Can't what sweetheart?"

She shook her head. "never mind." She got up and went to their room and laid in bed.

He got up after a few minutes confused. "knock knock." He walked into the room, the lights her off and she was crying. He sat on the edge of the bed.

"Sweetheart are you not feeling well? I got you your favorite!"

She grunted.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"I can't eat, I don't want to." She sat up, her stomach growled.

"You're clearly hungry, do you want something else? Tell me, I'll get anything."

"No! You don't understand." She began sobbing. "I, I , I just can't. " She stammered.

"Why can't you?" He was confused. Questioning her but lightly poking.

"I've eaten too much today." She said in a low tone. She was angry. She knew he didn't understand.

"You're body needs food. Why are you limiting yourself.?!" He became angry. He realized she had an eating disorder. "What did you have today.?"

"Coffee, water, protein shake and a banana."

"That's hardly anything sweetheart." His voice cracked. He was worried. He pulled her close to his body. " Why are you punishing yourself? You're beautiful, you need to be healthy for our baby! She needs her mommy to be strong. She can't be strong if she doesn't eat. " His voice was shaking.

" I know. " She hung her head lower. " I just... I can't, my brain... It won't let me. " She began sobbing again.

He ran his fingers through her hair. " Shhhh it's going to be ok. We will start small. Come with me, you'll take a few bites. If you don't want anymore, I'll save it and we try again. Or you realize why you need to eat. " He smiled and placed his hand on her belly where their baby would soon be.

She took his hand and followed him to the couch. They sat together and he fed her a few bites.

"Tell me when you're done."

She nodded.

After a few minutes half of her plate was gone.

"I don't think I can eat anymore."

He put the plate down and kissed her forehead, "you did it for her. I'm proud of you." He kissed her belly.

He put away the rest of the food and snuggled with her on the couch. After a while when he thought she drifted to sleep he heard a whisper, " thank you daddy. I'm... I'm sorry that I don't eat. I know I need to be strong for her. It's hard most days. " She placed her hands on her belly.