heartbroken

She met Ryan online. He was infatuated with her smile. Her body. All of her. How she spoke with him. How they lost track of time often. How they would find time to talk despite the time zone. He was in another country.

He was a Marine. Ryan.

They spent many nights together. Having sex. Drinking. Talking about getting married. He couldn't wait. He knew she needed him to provide for her always.

Ryan told Sara he had a surprise for her and it would come at the time she was least expecting it.

Ring ring ring.

"He-hello?" Sara sleepily answered.

"I'm home. I'm outside."

Ryan knew she was alone. That he could see her. He couldn't wait to see her. To kiss her. To fuck her again. She quickly got dressed and ran outside. She jumped into this arms.

He was 6 foot 4 inches tall. Strong. He held her and hugged her for what felt like hours.

"I'm home." He said buried into her neck. " I missed you so much babygirl!"

He kissed her like he never have.

Sara sighed and started crying. Happy tears. She was so happy to be in his arms again. "I'm home." She thought to herself. She felt safe with Ryan. Always had. Protected. Cared for. Loved.

He  took her on his motorcycle back to his apartment.

They spent hours together rolling around in bed. Kissing. Playing. They hadn't seen each other in months.

"I have something for you." He reached in his pocket for a small box.  "I got this before I left and came back home."

He got out of bed. Dug around in his bag for they tiny box. He finally turned around and handed her the small box.

"We talked about you coming to live here with me... To having babies. To being my wife. I don't want to leave you again as my girlfriend ever again!" He said with tears in his eyes.

Sara opened the box and found a smile diamond ring. She was shocked. Her whole body shook. She covered her mouth with her hands and began to cry. "me?" She questioned. "You. Want. Me?"

"You've been by my side through the hardest thing I've ever done. It's not over but I want to care for you. For the rest of your life."

Sara stood up. Started pacing around his apartment. "ME?!" She screamed. "I thought you were going to die on me!"

Months prior she got a call he was blown up by an IED while they were on a mission.

"You can't make me a widow. You can't have babies with me while you're still serving. It's not fair!" Sara said hysterically crying.

Ryan got up and picked her up and held her tight. "I'm here now. I'm not leaving for a while. We can get married and go on a honeymoon! I can spoil you like I promised baby. Please marry me" he squeezed her tightly.

Sara was scared. She couldn't believe this. She pulled away from his grip. "Let me down. I need to think... I. I can't. Let me go! "she pleaded.

"Ryan!" She screamed.

He let her go. He was furious. A switch flipped in him. He wanted to take away all of her hurt. He wanted to care for her. To provide her everything. He knew she wouldn't have to work a day in her life. He told her many many times.

"Sara! Don't go." He pleaded with her.

Sara left. She ran home. He sat on the couch screaming. He knew he had to let her cool off.

He started on a drinking bender. "She would come around." He stammered to himself opening another bottle. Bottle after bottle all he could do was think about her.

While Sara was home the more scared. Worried she'd gotten. She knew she couldn't marry him. Not like this.

A few days turned into a week.

Sara called over and over. No answer. Ryan was too drunk to answer. This wasn't the first time he did this to her.

Knock. Knock. Knock. Sara banged on his door.

He stumbled to the door.

"Babygirl!"

He had no idea it had been a week since she left.

"Drunk again?" Sara questioned. She already knew.

"So you came back to say yes?"

"I came to say..." She paused  "no ... I ha-"

Smack!

Ryan slapped her across the face in his drunken stupor. The switch that flipped before was on overload.

Sara fell into the wall from the force. He barely flinched.

She grabbed her now bloody mouth. "what the fu-"

"Shut up bitch. You can't say no. You're mine." He screamed standing over her. "get up or I'll make you!"

Sara cowered lower to the ground.

Ryan reached down and pulled her up to her feet by her hair. "YOU'RE. MINE!" he shouted in her face. She felt the spit he was so close. He grabbed her throat in his large hand. "Go ahead tell me you're going to leave again bitch. Do it." He lifted her up off the ground by her throat.

Sara was hysterical. "please no. You're drunk!" She was clawing at his hand. She couldn't get him to stop.

He lifted her up higher. Her feet no longer on the ground.

"NOOOOOOO!" Sara screeched. His nextdoor neighbor heard the scream and started banging on the front door.

He slapped her across the face again "Look what you did! I can't believe you! FUCK!" He screamed while dropping her to the ground and going to the door.

"What?" Ryan swung the door open.

"Is. Is everything ok? I heard screaming..." His neighbor knew Sara. She brought him food often while Ryan was deployed.

"Paul!" Sara screamed

"What did you do to her??" He pushed Ryan out of the way.

Paul got Sara off the ground and brought her back to his home.

"Thank you Paul. I'll be fine." Sara whispered.

"I know calling the cops won't do anything... So I'm asking you. Should I bring you home? Get you someplace safe?"

Sara nodded.

She never looked back. Never wondered about Ryan. She knew she was never meant to be his. Ever.

She would be heartbroken.