Chapter 39 - New work, new friends, new questions

Start from the beginning

- Why does everyone think that's the point?! Do I look so demanding?

- Well, you're always so serious. And at your age you're already working on a par with experienced scouts on the development of all sorts of things. And you live in the Capital, in your own apartment, and not in a rented apartments, like senior officers, or not in a rooms at headquarters, like ordinary officers, like me. You're independent and this is, let's say, a «serious application». Not everyone is ready to stand «behind».

- But that doesn't mean I'm demanding. And in general - if so, then I don't mind. I don't have time in my life anyway.

- Are you serious? You know, I still can't believe that no one has ever cared for you, this's nonsense. You're objectively beautiful, smart. Damn, I had a lot of fans, I'll not brag. Yeah, even Annie, damn it, has those, and she's locked in a crystal.

It was painful.

- And yet - let's not talk about it, as far as you could already understand, I like to listen to your stories, but I don't have my own.

They continued to walk through the streets. It was already evening, and they were heading towards the headquarters. They thoughtlessly chatted, joked at each other, laughed. They didn't notice that they were being watched.

- «Who is this with Y/N? Haven't I seen her before?» Connie asked.

- «She has a lot of friends, it turns out, besides us», Jean said, looking at the girls with interest.

- «This is Hitch. She's from the military police», said Armin, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. He was worried about what Hitch and Y/N might be talking about.

- How do you know her?

- I ran into her a couple of times here in Trost. Nothing special.

***

After a couple of days spent in Trost, Y/N returned to Mitras. She was accompanied by Hange, who was expected at the palace for an audience with the royal council. Y/N was glad to be back in the Capital, because she could finally start working. But she didn't return to work immediately - upon arrival, she headed to the palace with Hange. Since Levi refused to go to the Capital, not seeing the need for his presence, Y/N felt that Hange needed support. With Eren gone, everything changed and they all needed to look for a new approach to how to run things at the moment. Beyond that, she thought that her connections in the palace could help soften Hange's stay in the Capital. Historia was glad for both of them, but the rest... Y/N knew some of the members of the royal council from childhood and maintained a fairly trusting relationship with them. These people knew her father and understood that he raised his daughter in a certain way. Now, seeing what the girl has achieved, they're imbued with respect for her.

The conversation was quite difficult, however, fortunately, no one blamed Hange for Eren's departure. Everyone was well aware that Eren wasn't distinguished by an obedient character. He always did what he wanted, especially in recent months.

After visiting the palace, Hange chose not to linger in the Capital and return to Trost to the others to begin working on their new strategy for dealing with the Marley and Hizuru. Y/N, as planned, remained in Mitras. For the first few days, she rested. She enjoyed the silence with new books, walked around the city, trying all sorts of goodies. On one of these walks, she tried coffee - a drink based on plant seeds. It was another novelty brought to them from Marley. Y/N quite liked this drink, especially the effect it had on her. She also visited the palace - she and Historia, as usual, spent the evening together, drinking wine from the royal collection and talking about everything.